Cutting fiberglass

I am going to install sheets of fiber glass paneling 4X8, looks to be about .040 thick, the big box store said to use a saw to cut it.

I may need to cut the entire lenth 4ft, I want straight cuts.

Would a fine thooth saber saw blade be the way to go, as the stuff is pretty flimsy.

Thanks

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

Table saw, or skill saw both with a fine bladed saw blade.

Saber saw if it binds up you could rip the fiberglass. Boards and clamps would help a lot.

Reply to
SQLit

A circular saw

Reply to
m Ransley

I would take Joe's advice and clamp a board for a straight cut and also use a tungsten carbide router bit and a router, of course, to cut the material. That's how circuit boards are cut so cleanly. I'll let you do the googling for the tool bit....good luck, Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

I don't know if a saber saw would be my choice, especially since you want a straight cut, but clamp a board onto that fiberglass panel and go to it.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Fiberglass cuts just fine with almost any saw. The big problem is that it dulls the heck out of any blade almost immediately. Whether you use a tablesaw, circular saw, or a saber saw whatever, don't use your expensive blade...

Personally, I'd use the saber saw. The blades are cheap.

KB

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

And wear a dust mask. I didn't and coughed for hours.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

That's why you want to use tungsten carbide....fibergalss is very abrasive...Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

What ever you do, use put masking tape on both side so that the cut is in the middle of the tape. I would use a board as a guide, don't use pressure to smash it down, and cut it with a Skil saw (use a fairly fine tooth blade). A sabre saw isn't a good idea.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I have cut the stuff you are likely speaking of. I used a utility knife and scored it from the back side and snapped it in two. Cuts really similarly to ABS sheet. YMMV

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

You'd have to better with a saber saw than moi to do a straight cut with a saber saw.

I usually cut FRP (which I assume is what you're talking about) using a table saw with a backwards plywood blade. The real key is *support* -- as you say, that stuff is floppy, and wants to go anywhere but straight. BTW -- be sure to cut outside -- you'll spew fine dust everywhere, and that crap can't be good for your lungs.

Reply to
Andy Hill