Cutting cast iron bath tub with circular saw

Is it possible to cut a cast iron bathtub with a circular saw? I bought the metal cutting abrasive blades, but it is eating up the blade faster than the bathtub. Ended up with a heap of black dust from the blade, but only a small dent in the bath tub. The cut is getting red hot, and sparks are flying. At this rate, it will take me days to get through. I am wondering if there is an easier way. I can't use a sledge hammer as there isn't much room for swing. Perhaps a different kind of blade? Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

Reply to
Andrew Sarangan

If you can't use a sledgehammer, use a pneumatic hammer or an electric jackhammer.

BTW, you would need a masonary blade rather than a metal-cutting blade to get through the porcelain.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

flip tub upside down, stand on it swing sledge!

Reply to
Punch

I have no advice, but I wish you well. I helped carry a bath tube down a flight of stairs a couple years ago, and that can't be right. Once we got it outside, we tried breaking it up with a sledgehammer, but nothing happened.

Reply to
toller

They *do* make steel tubs as well as cast iron :)

Reply to
dadiOH

Wrong tools. Use a pick!!! Sort of thing for miners breaking rock.

Someone at Home Depot told me how you just couldn't break up one of those old tubs, I brought him a square of it in my back pocket. Took less than an hour to have that tub reduced to pieces that could fit into a bucket.

Reply to
Michael Baugh

John Harlow

If you had some way to avoid burning down your house, a cutting torch works well.

Also sharp items like a pick axe will punch through most times and once the metal starts to fracture it will usually cause a chain reaction so you can smash the rest up with a sledge hammer.

However, sometimes you get one of those extra tough old @#$@@'s and nothing works.

Good luck.

Drifter "I've been here, I've been there..."

Reply to
Drifter

If the water closet is in your way, remove it. You will need the space to maneuver any way, no matter what kind of tub it is. Put an old blanket or heavy visqueen over the tub to catch shrapnel. Swing a big hammer. If it dents like a car rather than shattering, it is a steel tub.

DanG

(snip)

Liquid nitrogen? Pour it full, throw a blanket over the top, and let it sit a few minutes, then hit it with the BFH?

aem sends, tongue firmly in cheek....

Reply to
ameijers

wondering

Must be one strange tub. There is plenty of room to swing a pick or sledge inside the tub. It shouldn't take a round-house swing, especially with a pick, to start it cracking. Cast iron is brittle and once you start a crack it breaks up fast. You should drape it with a blanket tho.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Is steel as heavy as cast iron?

Reply to
toller

I broke up a cast iron tub with a sledge before...20 minutes and it was in little pieces. 1000% easier than I thought it would be.

Reply to
Fake name goes here

I've tried it with both a pick and a sledge. Had to have more of a swing with a sledge, so I switched over to a pick.

Reply to
Michael Baugh

steel tubs are generally much lighter than cast iron. If you carried a cast iron one down some stairs, you would remember it.

bill

Reply to
bill a

Have room to swing a single jack??

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

wondering

I missed it too. WEAR SAFETY GLASSES no matter how you finally do it. I am wearing an artificial lens now because I didn't while doing nothing more than driving a nail (mis strike).

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

The kind of answer you might expect from one of their "experts".

I worked my way thru school working for a plumbing company. I never saw a cast iron tub that wouldn't break up after a few good blows.

Reply to
George

hi guys

I bought a pick axe as suggested by some people here, covered the bathtub with a tarp, and tried to break it. No joy. Every time I banged it, the porcelain broke off, but there was no sign of damage to the metal underneath. What am I doing wrong? Am I not hitting it hard enough?

Reply to
Andrew Sarangan

Repeated blows to the same spot is the answer. I wouldn't think that excessive power will accomplish much but gentle tapping won't either.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K