crusher run compaction

I'm about to order stone for a paver installation. I plan to follow the recommended specifications for my area which is a 4 inch gravel base.

I want to use crusher run. Does anyone have any comments about the amoutn of compaction that will occur. I am asking because I assume that 4 inches of stone will compact down to some degree.

I am looking for an overage rule of thumb.

Reply to
kbozek

The compaction will be minimal as the material has little air space when spread. If you need a number, add an inch to your intention. If you plan on 4 inch, compute for 5 inch. Calculate for the cubic yardage required and multiply the result by 1.25 for tonnage.

______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Reply to
DanG

Average coverage of 50 sq ft per ton at a 4" depth compacted. Most loose gravels cover more like 60 sq ft / ton 4" deep.

Reply to
newsreader