supporting 12 AWG wire run between block and 2x4 walls.

I'm wiring a walkout basement which has ~4' high block wall with 2x6 stud wall on top of that. There is a 2x4 stud wall (4' high) in front of the block with a 1" space between the block and stud wall. I'd like to run the wiring in that 1" space between the walls rather than through the studs. I need some THINGY to support the wires. I didn't find anything at the local bigbox. Nor here:

The closest thing I see on that page is the MultiCable Staple. Something like that would work if it were designed to be mounted on the side of the stud and extend into the 1" space.
Any ideas on what you would call such a THINGY and were I might find it?

Reply to
Mike Paulsen

Why? Code permits NM (Romex) cable to be unsupported "where the cable is fished between access points through concealed spaces in finished buildings or structures and supporting is impractical." [Art. 334.30(B)1]

Reply to
Doug Miller

If the walls are finished, you can snake the wires as Doug suggested, if they're open though, I don't know of any device made for cable support on the edge or studs. I've had situations where I could catch a staple at the back edge of the stud

RBM

In the time spent looking for an alternative you could have had a bunch of holes drilled. You can drill towards the rear of the stud to avoid the risk of piercing the cable with a nail.

If you have your heart set on running the wire in the back you can make your own cable supports. Get some 1" x 3" or 1" x 4" or strips of plywood. Cut pieces long enough to go from the front of the stud to the block wall. Make a small notch on top in the part that is between the back of the stud and the block wall. Mount these to the studs every 3 to 4 feet. Lay your cable on top in the notch.

Reply to
John Grabowski

That was my thought except that I don't see any need for the notch. He only has a 1" space so the cable will take up a good part of that and it won't matter if it does shift a bit.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

(snip)

The wall already has > In the time spent looking for an alternative you could have had a bunch of

You must be new to usenet

If there's not a cheap and easy plastic thingy, that's what I'll end up doing.

Thanks.

Reply to
Mike Paulsen

I've used the cable stackers you show in the second link. I used it to support some romex in a 1.5" space between two studs. You can just cut the top one or two rungs off the thing to make it fit in a smaller space. The way it nails diagonally into the stud but still holds the cable in the middle is just what you need.

I also used a bunch of them in my crawlspace to support the cable and phone wires as it allows me to reconfigure the system without pulling any staples, I can also get a bunch of cables in one.

They come in boxes of 25 at home depot or any electrical supply house.

PipeDown

Take short pieces of 2x4 and nail them TO the 2x4 studs in such a manner that they touch the block wall. There, you have created a shelf for the wire to lay on. I'm not sure this will pass code inspection though. Why not just drill the studs and go through them as you normally would?

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

Why would it not pass Code inspection? Code doesn't require *any* support in this situation.

Reply to
Doug Miller

That's why i said "i'm not sure". Cause I DID NOT KNOW. Thanks for the input.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

If you've been following the thread, you should have seen my earlier post that quoted the relevant section of the Code to demonstrate that no support is needed.

Of course, there's also the larger question of why you would suggest something that you weren't sure would meet Code.

Reply to
Doug Miller