I own an old house (approx. 100 years old). Each winter, I have a
problem with what looks like creosote running down the outside of the
chimney and staining the walls and ceiling. The house is unoccupied
through the winter and the thermostat is kept around 60.
The house is now heated by natural gas, steam, but previously with
coal (I think). The chimney runs through the center of the house and I
can see the creosote (?) running down the outside of the chimney in
Any suggestions for a fix or workaround? I am currently considering
abandoning the chimney altogether and using a power vent through the
side of the house.
On May 23, 2:55 pm, " firstname.lastname@example.org"
Sure sounds like there's no tile liner in the chimney- allowing
condensing inside to pass through the chimney, carrying whatever
debris is in there. (Sure ain't creosote.) Also, maybe the chimney
is regularly cool enough to condense lots of moisture.
That's (2) good reasons to switch to direct-vent if it's an option.
And ... verify that the chimney is in good condition before using
it for any other purpose, or more likely, removing it.
When my hundred-year-old house was converted from a wood kitchen stove
and coal heating stove in the living room to gas, they re-used the brick
chimney with no liner, and they didn't bother cleaning the chimney
first, either. The chimney was so full of coal tar, creosote, and ash,
that a brick dropped down the shaft wouldn't reach the bottom.
The chimney had to go anyway, it had severe earthquake damage. But
pulling it apart, the goo had penetrated the bricks and mortar far
enough that no amount of chimney sweeping would have eliminated it.
email@example.com is Joshua Putnam
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.