Craftsman lawn tractor wiring

I've just replaced the engine on my 18.5 hp Craftsman lawn tractor. It has a Briggs engine (31P7770296E1, 18.5 hp OHV Intek Plus). Although I replaced the engine with the exact same model number there is one wire configured differently on the new engine.

The old engine had one wire attached from the flywheel to the regulator. The new engine has two wires connected to the flywheel. I'm assuming one is a hot wire to the regulator the same as the original engine and that the other wire is a ground.

Can anyone provide any information on this or direct me to a schematic?

Thanks,

Darrell

Reply to
darrell

I've just replaced the engine on my 18.5 hp Craftsman lawn tractor. It has a Briggs engine (31P7770296E1, 18.5 hp OHV Intek Plus). Although I replaced the engine with the exact same model number there is one wire configured differently on the new engine.

The old engine had one wire attached from the flywheel to the regulator. The new engine has two wires connected to the flywheel. I'm assuming one is a hot wire to the regulator the same as the original engine and that the other wire is a ground.

Can anyone provide any information on this or direct me to a schematic?

Thanks,

Darrell

Reply to
darrell

I ran into that when I changed a 12.5 Briggs with a newer one. I really don't remember which one I used, I just started it up and checked the leads with a volt meter. I used the one with the voltage.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

One lead from the alternator coils is for charging the battery, the other is for lights. Typical for a Briggs is 3 amps to the rectifier for charging, & 5 amps AC for lighting.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Darrell,

If you follow the instructions in the headers and email me direct I can scan the schematic I have for my Sears riding mower w/17.0-hp Briggs, 42" cut w/Auto-Trans. There is also a pictorial view of the wire harness that I can scan and send from the manual.

Be sure and include my name as *Rick* in subject line.

Reply to
*Rick*