Cracked inner panel of dual pane glass (Caused by window film or cellular shades w/ tracks?)

I suspect that the combination of the IR-resistant film and the shades was more than additively worse than either by themselves, because the shade tries to send heat back out through the window, and the low-E film was fighting against you. If the shades are actually any good at reflecting radiated heat, then you don't WANT low-E film, you want the light to come in, bounce off the shades, and bounce back out, without even noticing that there was a window there.

Do you have window screens on the outside of the window? Those would help, and you should get enough airflow through the screen to keep heat buildup from being a problem.

Reply to
Goedjn

Even today (with no window film) the shades alone caused the window to get so hot I could not keep my hand on it.

The window screens were on the inside (between the shade and the window). Today I don't have the screens installed, since I had to remove them to get rid of the window film, and will install them again after I have new glass panels installed (looking into getting low e) for the two adjacent windows. The screens did not help since they were on the inside of the window.

Frankly, I'm afraid to continue using the insulated shade with the side tracks since it causes the glass to get very hot. I'd even bet that the insulated shade played as much, or even a greater, a role toward causing the crack than the window film (since the window film was not very effective).

J.

Reply to
jay

You had a warning from the film co for good reason. Now why not call glass companys, everyone and you are just guessing here. Go get the facts from the man that makes glass ....

Reply to
m Ransley

Yes.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I just downloaded a .PDF of Anderson's 20 limited warrantee. They list damage due to "insulated coverings" as an exclusion in the warrantee (as well as tinted window coverings).

J.

Reply to
jay

I said the combination of the two. The film was the major componet of the failure. Actually it was user error.

As I stated in my post we install these inside skylights all the time with no problem.

Did these shade contain any warning labels about glass breakage when used with IG units?

How many cord warning child choking labels did you remove from this product?

Would they spend this much money on one safety aspect and fail to address another?

Your house, your expense do as you will.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Also, "Four Seasons Sunrooms" mentions that they do not cover damage due to "use of insulated shades during daylight hours" in their glass warranty.

J.

Reply to
jay

Skylights are likely a much heavier duty glass than the relatively-thin glass on my windows.

No, but they I now believe that they really SHOULD warn about glass breakage when used in conjunction with the side tracks during daylight hours.

Because they are legally required to address the cord choking issue. Likely room darkening shades with side tracks aren't popular enough to have caused too many problems, and likely the odds are much lower that cracks in the glass while the shades are down would result in death.

By the way, Anderson windows lists damage due to "insulated coverings" as an exclusion in their 20 year limited glass warranty. Also, "Four Seasons Sunrooms" mentions that they do not cover damage due to "use of insulated shades during daylight hours" in their glass warranty.

My point here is that, although I agree with your point that the glass cracked due to user error (my trying to solve the heat problem from the inside of the house) , and although I was foolish for putting the window film on the inside of the dual-pane windows, I suspect the shades-with-sidetracks equally as much, if not more, than the window film.

I will likely move the cellular shades into a room that faces the north!

J.

Reply to
jay

Well if Anderson and 4 seasons have that exclusion then there is an issue. Good you found out for me I was thinking about your shades. Your shades are R 5 , that is the highest R for a shade Ive seen, it is equal to a Tri pane or 1" of pink foamboard is r5.5. True your glass should not be Too hot to touch. High R shades are usualy meant for night heat loss. Was there a warning with your shades ? There should have been. I have Anderson and pella, , maybe the exclusion is new I do not remember seeing it . Before I get cellulars I will research it more. I just put in a 5x8 Tripane id hate to break it. Why not just open a window and get fresh air in.

Reply to
m Ransley

There was no warning. Anyway, the shades would likely not be a problem as long as the sidetracks aren't installed (but then why bother with a high r value shade with gaps). With the sidetracks, it creates the seal on the sides that traps the hot air between the shade and the glass on a sunny day.

J.

Reply to
jay