Crack in microwave

I have a small crack on the floor of my microwave oven. Should I discontinue use? Will the microwaves be able to escape? Please excuse my question - when I read it over it sounds dumb but I'd stull like an answer.
Thanks for the help!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Crack in what? The glass pan?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Ummmm...a crack in the unit itself. Doubtful I'd be too concerned about a cracked glass dish.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Buy a new one.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

if the cracked part is metal, that can be dangerous
if the cracked part is plastic, probably not a problem...just be sure there is metal surrouding the inside of the oven in all directions.
Mark
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Just my opinion, but based on the lack of detail in the original question, the person does not have the mechanical intuition to judge any of this. Buy a new one.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
replying to JoeSpareBedroom, cracked floor wrote: they said the floor of the microwave like we have and its been that way for a long time.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
It's an 11 year old thread.
Fortunately we know what happened.
The OP's eyesight was okay but not super sharp. One of his kids came to visit and said "Ewww, what's this dog hair doing in the microwave?"
A quick swipe with Mr. Clean and the crack disappeared.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sunday, October 23, 2016 at 11:14:05 AM UTC-5, cracked floor wrote:

It must be a requirement for those accessing homemoanershubby that reading comprehension is not a priority. Here we have another dumbass by the name of cracked floor aka crack head replying to a TEN YEAR OLD thread.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
The base of the interior shell of the microwave would be of steel. As long as the interior surfaces & door mesh & seals are intact, it should operate as designed. If the outside case is cracked, it won't affect the performance.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 30 Sep 2006 13:53:09 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca wrote:

Radio Shack used to sell a microwave detector. Maybe it still does, I don't keep track.
I have one and it works well.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
mm wrote:

How do you know it works well? Because when cheap microwave detectors have been tested by qualified people, they've usually found that they either give false positives (even when the oven was turned off -- they're not tuned to just microwaves but will detect any signals)) or they read zero (in one case, even inside the oven). The most reliable ones use either a fluorescent light tube (not very sensitive but should glow slightly in a dark room if held right next to the oven and the leakage is around 5-10x the legal maximum) or liquid crystals (sensitivity unknown).
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 1 Oct 2006 19:06:32 -0700, "larry moe 'n curly"

I had a microwave oven that worked well** that had no latch on the door. It was built that way. I held the detector by the door and all around and it showed zero everywhere. The moment I cracked the door open, the reading started to climb, fairly quickly, and in proportion to how much the door was open. To be sure, it never got more than 1/4 scale, but I could only open the door a little before a safety switch turned the oven off. I think that was a pretty good test.
It uses a meter with a needle.
**It was Amana Model #2. I've not seen Model #1, but model 2 looked like the picture they used for decades to represent a microwave. I fixed it a couple times, but finally the transformer burned out, and they wanted 250 for the part.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca wrote in

On my front door, I'd put a sign with a circle and diagonal line through it with a picture of a pacemaker in it for CYA :-)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 30 Sep 2006 13:53:09 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca wrote:

Can't say if this is a dangerous situation or not but it does sound unusual. Perhaps you should contact the manufacturer; they may ship a replacement unit. In any event, think about a new one.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca wrote:

you cook crack in a double boiler on the stove...not a microwave
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.