Could humidifier be contaminated??

I have an April-Aire humidifier on the gas furnace. The orifice was clogged and it wasn't working. I finally cleaned it about 10 days ago, and it is now working. And now both my wife and I have a cough, accompanied by phlegm and runny eyes. I jokingly told her that I think there was something growing in the water panel evaporator and now that it's working, this "something" is being released in the air and infecting us. Is it possible that this is true! The panel was changed at the beginning of last years (2002-2003) heating season.

Yes, it can pickup all sort of contaminants and breed mold if not cleaned.
TOM KAN PA wrote:

Growth in the April-Aire panel is not common since it dries out between cycles. But the symptoms you are having might suggest mold growth *somewhere*. Turn off the humidifier for a couple of days and see if your symptoms lessen. If they *do* lessen, you could have excessive humidity in the house or possibly mold growth in the ductwork or in the A/C coil (if used).
Of course, you could replace the panel too...
Buy a hygrometer so you have some idea what the humidity level is.
Jim

few years back when I had a small DIY humidor made out of a 6-pack cooler with some florist wet foam and propylene glycol at the bottom.
AJS

It COULD be, but very doubtful.
However, I dont install a humidifier, unless a UV lamp goes in as well....just insurance against that sort of thing.
I'd be tempted to call a heating guy out to change the pad again. Or, if you want to be really cheep, take it apart yourself (not dificult). Mix up a bucket with about two ounces of bleach, and the rest warm water. Soak the pad in bleach water for about five minutes, drip dry, and put it all back together. Now, that's cheep!
--

Christopher A. Young
Join Alt-Hvac Moderated