Cottage Stones

I have a shed painted gray. It sits off of the ground and the previous owners put reddish cottage stones around it which looks nice, and really finishes it off. It also keeps the skunks out from going underneath it.
Can these stones be painted gray? They are porous. If so, can they be spray painted, or would it be better to brush paint the stones?
Also, would the paint eventually flake off? I don't want to create a huge job which means all the stones would have to be painted every other year or so.
Thanks for all feedback.
Kate
On 5/30/2011 11:00 PM, Kate wrote:

Paint the shed a "reddish" color. :-)
Don
On 5/31/2011 8:33 AM, IGot2P wrote:

Well, then it won't match my house.

Your Sherwin-Williams, or any other paint store that sells to professionals will have the answer. Ask them, its a good opportunity to learn something new.
Joe

I do not know what a cottage stone is. Eventually is a relative term. And nothing lasts forever except taxes.
Pressured washed, allowed to dry, primed and painted with a quality paint I would guess 5-10 years before you needed to do it again.
The biggest potential problem is moisture coming up or from the unpainted side. Then it might be a touch up every other year.
I would apply it with a brush.
Colbyt
On 5/31/2011 12:00 AM, Kate wrote:

If it does all that, leave them alone.

It's better to leave them alone.

Paint sucks, and seldom wears or fades away nicely, but generally flakes off, leaving a mess.
I don't want to create a

If I had to paint them, I would be looking at more of a dye or stain than for paint. Paint on brick or cement sounds like asking for trouble.
--
Jack
I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me.