Cost comparison of DIY radiant heat vs professional gas furnace installation

Page 1 of 2
I'm going to have to replace my furnace and hot water heater next year so I'm exploring some options. One of the biggest things I have to consider is up front cost and on going cost. Currently I have a forced air gas furnace and gas water heater.
I'm curious to know if replacing the furance with a radiant floor heating setup would be cheaper. I'm bascially looking for some ballpark, rough estimate answers that would tell me which of the following would be cheaper to install:
Option 1:
DIY radian heating where I run the pipes and do all other plumbing, but have a pro install the gas water heater that would heat both the house water and the floors. DIY installation of a blower unit for the air conditioner. (since there's no more furnace blower)
Option 2:
Have a pro install a new forced air gas furnace and a gas water heater. Connect the air conditioner to the new furnance blower.
I know prices vary depending on which modles, etc. I choose and provide different efficiency levels, but let's assume a mid quality/price/efficiency point for both systems. If the comments I receive point to the DIY radian floor heating installation being way cheaper I would do more research. If both options are pretty much on par, then I would probably just have a new furnace installed since I don't have to do as much work.
Btw, I'm located in Ontario, Canada.
Thanks for all the comments, Harry

    Don't post this shit in alt.hvac !!!!

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com /
Since efficiency is your goal why even consider Mid efficiency. Your true cost is apples to apples the highest efficency of both. There will be likely no payback junking a good system for another. Even if you do the labor the materials are high. For your cheapest operating cost look into a 94% -95% VSDC zoneable furnace and putting the extra cash into upping R values
Pricing over the net is not possible. Just my over head is XXXX, your local overhead is x.

$40,000 USD.

controls?
Oh, and ignore Paul.
Replacing the existing will be cheaper first cost by a wide margin. a high effiency furnace, 90% or better will be cheapest to run/
If you want AC in the bargain go for a split system heat pump instead of a gas furnace.
forget the radiant heat on a retrofit.
Phil Scott HVAC contractor since 1610

Why?
I do it quite often....

Post the details then.
Im sure its workable. Im just not so sure its cheaper on balance to own and operate than forced air in his case... expecially *if he wants air conditioning in the mix/
Phil Scott

You can have radiant cooling, but the surface temps have to be above the dew point.
I think the OP is in Canada. They won't have quite the cooling needs as someone in Miami...

I saw an odd installation in Clearwater Florida, a group of offices, above the suspended ceiling was a direct expansion net work of copper tubes (freon inside) running at about 35 degrees, and convecting cold air through grid panels in the ceiling into the room, drip pans under the runs of pipe to collect the condensate.. but have cost 3x what standard system would.

Correct. In SF calif. virtually all commercial buildings need HVAC, but most homes doint even some high end homes...so... they suffer a few days a year is all.
same in ontario Im sure.
Phil Scott

I'll bet there was more to that one. I can imagine the mold/mildew problem.

years ago. We saw the fireworks over the bay. We also nearly seemed to freeze our bottoms off...

Ontario has some hot and humid summers, it's quite unbearable without air conditioning.
Harry

a heat pump will be your most economical move...
a packaged heat pump the cheapest most reliable option and you can install that yourself.. but be sure the ducts are large enough and sealed well and well insulated. Buy the high efficiency model. Rheem is a good buy for the money. Simplest also. Easy to repair.
Thats cheapest heating / cheapest install.
To cut operating costs further, grossly oversize the ducts so that you can shut down the bedrooms during the day etc when not in use and living room areas at night... (via motorized dampers)
or install two smaller heat pumps, one for each separate area.
(you get redundancy that way too)... you can use portable electric heaters for back up if and when the heat pump needs repair or replacement.
If you want ultra cheap operation look into ground source heat pumps (personally I think the install costs offsets the net savings though and is more complex to maintain)
Dirt cheap are chinese window mounted heat pumps, but mounted low in the wall instead. one in each room.
Through the wall split system heat pumps (wall mounted air handlers) are nice...but expensive. and you have wall units to look at.
Phil Scott Mechanical Engineer, HVAC contractor

Would the heat pump suggestion work in our lovely Canadian winters?
Thanks, Harry

Not below 25 def F or so, thats when you need to use the electric resistance or gas furnace back up, thats one of the reasons I recommended a *split system the indoor coil over the top of a gas fired furnace.
In your area below zero is common, but on an annual basis perhaps under 25F less than 20% of the yearly running hours.
Best design is to strategize for the predominate running condition with provisions to handle the extremes... none the less a local HVAC contractor should be consulted on the heat pump as I had recommended... they will have all the figures... how well your house is insulated is also an issue in that regard... and zonability.
Phil Scott

Forget about the so-called 'pros' who have demonstrated that they are CROOKS here.
Any DIY with average skills can do the same job for thousands less.
With rates as low as 5.8cents/kwh for electricity in Ontario consider ZONED baseboard heat. It is much cheaper than central Gas heating. My bills went from $1500/year to $300/year.

Sounds like you could be paying only ~ 100.00 a year to heat your fucking trailer using a heat pump if you was to zone said system.
Installation costs will vary, so suggest get at LEAST ten quotes, you fuckwad....
Now all's left is to ponder any business model that would routinely provides ten FREE quotes to idiots--hoping to get a single paying job....
Curious, what's a Canadian "dollar" worth these days, anyways ???
--
SVL

Go blow paul - asshole

...Nope...
YOU blow me first, and then blow him, and then just MAYBE, I'll think about this shit seriously.
You fucking top-posting idiot.
--
SVL

Maybe you and pjm should get a room at an HVAC gay grease-monkey conference.
Nick