Cordless Drill with Best Batteries/Charger under $125?

Page 1 of 2
The drills seem to stand up, but the batteries don't. I have been told that most chargers are very cheap, unregulated, and that they overcook the batteries if you forget and leave the battery in the charger for too long. Can you recommend a drill with a decent charger that won't do this? (Or is this a non-problem?) Help much appreciated. Frank P.S. I have a Craftsman that's about 2 years old and the battery lives seem to be getting shorter and less capable of holding a charge all the time.

Under $125? Nope. There is DeWalt, Porter-Cable, Milwaukee, and Bosh. The Bosh might be in the ballpark.
-- Mike D.
www.stopassaultnow.org
Remove .spamnot to respond by email
All batteries lose a bit of life with each cycle. To get the most out of it use a peak charger. A peak charger measures when volts drop and energy is then converter to heat . Only run drill till it just slows, then its discharged, running more is bad. Charge only once a day and store discharged. Not dead but at 1.1 v per cell. Sears will have a peak charger and it may fit your batteries. Radio Controll hobby shops sell the good bateries and there is mailorder , They know packs , you can put in new batteries in old packs.
Thanks to all for yor ideas. I am considering DeWalt and Makita on the basis of your suggestions...
On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 23:57:55 -0600, "Mike Dobony"

@worldnet.att.net said...

My step-father-in-law is a commercial contractor and has about 12 of every tool. He absolutely swears by his Panasonic and says that's all that anybody he knows buys now. I've used it a few times and it is clearly designed and made better than any of the others listed here with Hilti added to the list (since he has all of those, too). It's only 15.6 volt, but it compares in torque and battery to any of the 18's and less weight. It also supplies full torque at any speed which is amazing. I don't know if any of the others are doing that yet.
I believe they are closer to $200, but they are well worth it.

Bocsh drills are ok, I own one, but it was alot more than $125. More like 250. I have a Milwaukee, and prefer it.

The last good drill Panasonic made was about 5 years ago...the Shark. I have looked for a similar model, or, I dont know if hes got one, but they used to have one that the chuck could be offset so you could get a clean clear hole in that corner...and its gone. Problem was, they were higher than anything on the market...and the specs were no better.

Unless they have dropped drastically in price. None of the suppliers here carry them anymore. Johnstone can order them, but do not keep in stock.

snipped-for-privacy@carolinabreezehvac.com said...

You obviously haven't seen the new ones then. Wasn't The Shark just a consumer model? I don't remember it.
The current Panasonic 15.6 is way ahead of every 18 out there that I have used.
said...

Nope. Havent...and thats because no one sells them in the area. All of the supply stores have dropped them here. The only Panasonic stuff we sell and buy now are the bathroom fans....nothing better there...thats for sure.

You know...I have no idea. I know that when Johnstone carried them, they were the ONLY place you could get one. They also had that one with the adjustable position chuck that I wanted one of, and when I went to get one, they told me they had dropped the line. It looked good tho...never got to use one.

Might be...but I gotta ask..:) Will it survive a 48 foot fall? The new Bocsh I have claims they will...(and no..its not my favorite) And does it have a lifetime warranty? Milwaukee does.
When you are working commercially, THATS what I care about...durability and warranty.
snipped-for-privacy@carolinabreezehvac.com said...

I don't know what the warranty is, but isn't Milwaukee's warranty only lifetime as long as you don't 'abuse' and don't they specifically single out commercial use as a voiding of the warrantly? Sounds like they only fix it if they want to.

I looked this morning in the warranty papers, and no, commercial is not even mentioned. Milwaukee touts themselves as THE commercial brand..and honestly, they are. But, all that aside, abuse on a commercial tool is hard to define. The guy that runs the local Milwaukee auth repair center told me one time that as long as it looked like you had not taken a hammer to the back side of the drill and never pulled the trigger to get it to bore, it can be covered, and I have never had any problem getting warranty work done on any of the stuff we have...might be a local thing, but thats my experence.
My old boss had a couple Panasonics. I thought he was kidding when he said the batteries were 3.0 amp hours, but that's what they said on them. He really loves them.
I'm very pleased with my Makita, which has 2.0 amp hour batteries.
I'm told that DeWalts are renamed Black and Deckers, and that the Dewalts have plastic gears.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn More about Jesus

The new Panasonics are 3.5.
What, you charge them twice a year? That's wonderful!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn More about Jesus
Brad wrote:

Wow, and they are NiMh too! http://makeashorterlink.com/?K21E157B6
or full link here: http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelList?storeId251&catalogId005&catGroupId274
Possibly more than the OP wants to spend (and more than I spent on my DeWalt), but they look like super drills.

FYI - you should tinyurl.com in the future. There is no annoying middle page like that. "Tinyurl" is shorter than "makeashorterlink" to boot!

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelList?storeId251&catalogId005&catGroupId274
They work like them, too.

I was told that Black and Decker owns DeWalt and there may be some overlap in the specs of some of the drills, but DeWalt has the "heavy duty" line which is supposed to far surpass any Black and Decker drill. The DeWalt drill I mentioned in my other post has an "all metal transmission" which would include the gears would it not? Also, the housing around the chuck is metal as opposed to our last Porter Cable which was plastic. Like I said though, I am no drill expert but this drill fits in to the original poster's price range (at some stores, priced higher at Home Depot for example) and we've been super happy with it.
On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 03:09:28 GMT, frank1492

I have a Makita with a nimh battery. These are nice because they last longer in use than nicad and they aren't the disposal problem that nicads are.
Makita only has a few models with all metal gearing as do many brands. But just saying all metal doesnt mean didly. I bought an 18v Dewalt metal gear. And the gears slapped and skipped loudly on trigger release. I returned it for a Makita. Many use Sub C low amp batteries.. C , high amp are better , and NIMH are the best
Hi Frank,
I am no drill expert but my dad has had a 12V DeWalt with XR batteries and charger that have been going strong for about 8 years. The battery life is excellent and he hasn't noticed any significant decrease and his drill is used ALOT. This prompted us to purchase a 14.4V DeWalt XRP (http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID188). We purchased this for CDN$189 (which is about US$125) at our local Costco store. Good luck drill shopping.
frank1492 wrote:

I've abused an 18 v sears unit for 8 years. Hardly using it which is bad for the batteries but they still are great shape.