cooktop install sealant

Fitting a small 4-burner gas cooktop to the kitchen benchtop, I was disappointed to find the supplied "play-dough" sealant to fit around the edge before dropping it in the cut-out was still being used. The last time I used this I found that it leaves a good 1/8th inch or so bead around the edges, even when clamped right down. Because it doesn't ever dry out, it became a dirt-trap. I'm wondering if there's any down side to use something else instead - maybe silicone sealant?
Jordan
I'd be inclined to use clear silicon sealant, the kind you use around a bathtub, and smells of acetic acid (vinegar).
professorpaul wrote:

Thanks - that's what I'm leaning towards. Just wondered if it makes it difficult to remove later? I had to do this one time to replace a spark plug. I'm thinking of spraying the laminate with WD40 before applying the silicone sealant, so it's not so sticky.