COOKTOP DROPPED IN, OVEN POPPPED IN, AND DISHWASHER SLIPPED IN

Things went well today with one little problem:

I cut the power to the house, wired it up, flipped the breakers on, and this awful smell came from the oven.

I thought I had done something really wrong but all my other electrical was fine. So, I cut the power and disconnected the oven. Then, I called the dealer who told me that the element in the oven has a coating that burns off and smells so toxic that you think you're going to die.

I said, "It didn't say that in the instructions."

My question is: should the fan be running and the smell be coming out of the oven before even turning it on?

Have you heard of this? I'm getting my electrian over to check my wiring (white wire to white wire, black to red, and the ground, pretty simple). Meantime, I want to know fi the unit is defective. Should I run the sucker and let it burn and all the dealer if there are complications?

I don't want to burn my new oven up.

Reply to
MRS. CLEAN

Nope, never did. Some vent hoods will turn on by a thermostat, but that does not sound like your situation at all. Check to see that any oven controls or timers are not in the "on" position though.

Perhaps you already did. If it was defective, it is covered under warranty so don't get upset yet.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I was pretty tired yesterday. I took a nap. Woke up, then read the Troubleshooting FAQs. It clearly states that a weird smell will come from your oven for the first few days but putting it through a clean cycle will shorten the duration.

It also read if it flashes lock or bake, to re-set. If it doesn't re-set, cut the power, wait a few minutes and turn power back on. Christopher (my dealer) told me that horrible smell wasn't me burning up the oven, it's normal. It should tell you about it more specifically. But, no one would want to buy a oven that smells as if it's burning up because of a protective coating on the wiring that dissipates after a few days.

So, I am calling for a technician next week. When s/he arrives, we will power up and I will get the expert opinion on it. It's covered, like you said, but I don't want to go from Mrs. Clean to Mrs. Bumble.

Reply to
MRS. CLEAN

I have sold office machines that stank when new and first used.

It got to the point I would unpack and run the unit here for 12 hours with a garage door open to disapate the odor, and even then customers still complained:(

people are so sensitive today to odors and what they believe are hazards.....

Reply to
hallerb