converting electric to gas in my home

-------------------------------------

Our home is currently electric and we would like to convert to gas. thank you cindy

Reply to
cindy sue

You're welcome. Sometimes I come home from work and bring gas. Depends on what I had for lunch. The gas lights will look nice too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yeah, the lights are nice, but have you seen the price of those gas TVs?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

If you want one (and can afford it) it's best to buy the TV first and then build a house around it.

Reply to
Harry L

There's a new thing about keeping cows in the basement, and then they produce methane, and it's all very green friendly. You'd probably even get a little snippet on TV with AlGore.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Lets see now... electric to gas... OK! Just use electrolysis! Be careful, the gases the electrolysis will produce are hydrogen and oxygen and are quite explosive.

Reply to
Tony

If you have cloth covered wiring, you can't convert since the cloth can't contain the gas.

Rubber coated Romex or BX cable, with the right connectors, should be OK.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Gas heating. Gas lighting. Gas hot water heater. Washing machine. Gas operated refrigerator. Gas dryer. Gas cooking stove. Gas water pump if on a well-water supply. Gasoline sump pump in case of flooding. Not sure if you can get gas operated air conditioning, if needed? A conversion cost of say $15,000 to $25,000 should cover it? But do careful comparison of the cost of fuel (gas) to ensure that such a conversion is worth the initial outlay. If the gas to be used is propane fuel cost most likely to be far too expensive, and unlike piped in gas or wired in electrcity propane gas fuel delivery can be a problem. Here, where all-electric homes are the norm, and most electrcity is generated by hydro (water) power, it would not be economic or practical at all. In the late 1940s just after end of WWII we lived in an all-gas Victorian row house house in a northern UK city. The daily lighting and maintenance of appliances was quite a chore. The gas lights used those 'mantles' which were quite fragile and had to be treated with care. PS. Maybe a gas generator to power TV and radio etc.

Reply to
terry

Of course, you need a vacuum cleaner to suck the copper centers out of the romex tubes. But, that's easy enough to do. Just post on the Sucko forum, and ask how.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Early washing machines came electric powered or with natural gas or gasoline engines for those without electric yet!

Reply to
Tony

I think they showed a gasoline washing machine in the movie "Coal Miner's Daughter"-- Loretta Lynn's biography. I remember my Mother telling me about them-- one brand was "Thor", and how my grandmother wanted one.(she never got it) They finally got electricity on the farm in W. Tx just before WW11, when my Mother was about 10. She said she and some of her brothers were in a field some distance away from the house, and it was dark by the time the power got switched on. They came running home-- they thought the house was on fire, it was so bright, compared to the kerosene lamps. Larry

Reply to
Lp1331 1p1331

On Nov 11, 12:04=A0am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Lp1331 1p1331) wrote: They finally got electricity on the farm in W. Tx just before WW11, when my Mother was about 10. She said she and some of her brothers were in a field some distance away from the house, and it was dark by the time the power got switched on. They came running home-- they thought the house was on fire, it was so bright, compared to the kerosene lamps. Larry

I must have missed WW3 thru 10! Holy Crap!

bob_v

Reply to
Bob Villa

Terry, you did the unforgivable here...you don't need to heat "hot water"!

bob_v

Reply to
Bob Villa

Wait a minute - we have an issue here.

She can't use a vacuum to suck out the copper because the electricity would have to be turned off before the copper could be sucked out. Even if she had a gas powered vacuum cleaner, she couldn't use it until the copper was sucked out of the Romex and the gas turned on.

We have a classic Catch-22 here.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

WW ELEVEN? How many world wars have we had?

Reply to
Sam E

Folks began collecting organizing members for local REC on VJ-Day; first hookup was sometime in '47; lines west to us in '48. Dad served on Board continuously for 50 years.

Prior to full service had Delco 32V DC windcharger system that provided house lights and minimal applicances (altho did include refrigerator).

We just retired the original 110V Frigidaire last year when the compressor finally failed after 60 years nonstop other than the occasional power outage. I'm kicking myself for having let the appliance outfit have it instead of at least putting it in barn for dirt-free storage... :(

I'm not sure what had for washing machine on the Delco system--I'll have to ask my aunt what she recalls...a cousin has the old Delco multi-dial radio that we played "Buck Rogers" spaceship controls on as kids--it still works, too.

I know areas of Saskatchewan and I presume others when I was still doing coal analyzer service work 10 years ago or so still had sizable areas that had not yet gotten on grid. There was still a showroom in the co-op store in Weyburn w/ the DC appliances last time I was there.

--

Reply to
dpb

You do if you want steam. A steam powered house with all appliances run off steam. It could work.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

And, there is the answer. A new company provides portable powered Romex vacum sucking service.

Finnegan's Ultrapowerful Copper Tubing Usage Provider. Advanced, Hyper Oscillating Efficiency.

You'lll know when the guy knocks on the door and hollers the company acronym "F.U.C.T.U.P. A-Hoe!" and stands there with his hose in his hand.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Well, lets see. 9 and 10 were againt Communists, and 11 is against liberals. Not much differnce, if you asked me.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I brought this up 1st...you sir, are rude! (and what about WW3 thru

8?)

bob_v

Reply to
Bob Villa