Converting a Canned Light Fixture

I have one of those canned lights over my dining room table. I think that is what it is called. It is simply a round fixture, with a metal rim around it. Inside of it is a big light bulb.

I see that Lowe's now carries a kit that would allow me to install a medallion type fixture over it, and hang a nice formal light fixture in its place. I guess you could call it a pendant-type light fixture.

Has anyone done this, and how does it look? Was it easy to change out?

Many thanks.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

I believe you are referring to a recessed light fixture. To install a surface mounted fixture in it's place, the recessed fixture has to be removed and a ceiling box installed. The easiest box to use is a fan brace like Westinghouse 01100, but it may be possible to use a standard bar box, depending upon the locations of the beams. Once the box is installed and connected to the existing cable(s), you install whatever type fixture you want, using the medallion first, to cover the hole.

Reply to
RBM

Hi - we retrofitted three of the can lights in both of our bathrooms - the kits are at Lowes - in addition to the kit, you'll need to choose, and purchase separately, a fixture that attaches to the end of the wire that comes down from the fixture - the length is adjustable. They look real nice - more current, so says my hooked-on-all-of-the-remodeling-shows-on-HGTV girlfriend - install was easy - just remove the part of the existing fixture that fits up against the ceiling (leave the "can" installed in the ceiling), screw in the one end of the kit, snug it up, and that's about it. We didn't require any modifications to the existing lights - no braces or re-wiring, or anythign like that.

Reply to
Whatever . .

Wow, that sure is some Rube Goldberg contraption. One thing you'd better be sure of before using this type of kit, is that the recessed fixture you are attaching it to isn't a cut in type. To have any integrity, this thing needs a rough in kit recessed fixture. Seems to me, using a fan brace and medallion would be easier, quicker, and stronger, but would require 10 cents worth of electrical know how.

Reply to
RBM

Reply to
Kate