Connecting an Alternator to horse drawn buggy

Page 3 of 3
On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 02:16:53 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com wrote:
Check out this buggy with amber flashers on front and rear. * Buggy battery safety is important :)
* Ohio State University Fact Sheet Buggy Lighting and Marking Recommendations http://ohioline.osu.edu/aex-fact/0596_4.html
The following fact sheets are available from Ohio State University Extension:
Driving Safely in Amish Country, AEX 596 Buying the Right Battery for Your Buggy, AEX 596.1 Buggy Battery Safety, AEX 596.2 Buggy Highway Safety Tips for You and Your Family, AEX 596.3 Buggy Lighting and Marking Recommendations, AEX 596.4 Pedestrian Safety in Amish Country,AEX 596.5 Bicycle Safety in Amish Country,AEX 596.6 Boosting Visibility of Ag Equipment, AEX 598 Additional Marking of Horse Drawn Vehicles = Additional Safety, AEX 598.1 http://www.ag.ohio-state.edu/~agsafety/ash/programs/am_pubs.html
snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com wrote:

The Amish are fascinating, and there is an excellent website about the "Plain People".
http://www.800padutch.com/amish.shtml
Jeff DeWitt

Yeah, but don't overlook the really negative things about them. It's not at all pretty and quaint. It's a cult. Women and children are "property" and the accepted way to communicate with them is to beat them. Nice.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

You could say the same thing about Islam...
Jeff DeWitt

You could say the same thing about individuals/subgroups of just about every religion, and extending it to describe the whole religion is as wrong as it is with the Amish.
There are one or two subgroups of the Amish that could potentially be properly described as cults, and others that operate completely differently. As there are (rather more than one or two) of christianity, islam or the jewish faith.
Jonestown/Crusades/Inquistion != christianity Wahabi != islam A religious jew that we knew well went on a pilgrimage to Israel, and after he came back remarked on the extreme variation of religious observance between individual congregations of the same group. Eg: fine points of dietary laws in kosher households - like, one microwave or two? One dishwasher or two? He put it rather strongly - "Rabbi personality cults" (based around individual and differing interpretation/concessions of practicality of the same laws).
--
Chris Lewis,

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 19:07:53 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Like ALL religions, there are good and bad. There has been a big thing on the news in the last year about one that beat and had sex with relatives and the whole thing seems to give a bad image of all of them. It's one bad apple...... I have never seen any beatings around here. They have better marriages than most non-Amish from waht I see. On the other hand, when there is a divorce, the woman can never marry again, (unless the man dies). It's not all quaint or pretty. They work hard and work most of the time. Yet, they seem to be happier than most people and dont have all the problems and debt that many others have. Their concepts of sharing the phone bill, the well, etc saves money, and when they need a barn, all of of them work together, which makes for closer families. There's a good and bad side to everything and to all people. Whether it's a cult or not, I really can not say. I think most if not all religions are a cult in some manner. Even those so well accepted in our world, such as the Catholics are cult-like. I am not here to judge anyone's beliefs. If people are happy, then that's what matters. Some of them do leave the Amish too. Either way, they are an interesting people and I enjoy living near them. They are usually the first to help me when I have a problem and that says something about them.

How about getting them saved? Then they would be free to drive a car instead of being in stupid bondage. Many Amish own and drive vehicles. Driving a buggy instead of a car will not get them to heaven and driving a car will not send them to hell.
Mike Dobony wrote:

Maybe they are right and you are wrong.
Jeff DeWitt

Everytime I have to spend a few hours under the hood or under my car doing something like exhaust work, I think "they are right"..... :) I'd much rather care for my horses than be laying in the dirt with bloody knuckles, under a car cussing at some rusted bolt on a piece of steel, that is pissing me off...... And when I have to pay for the car loan, or spend $100 for a tire, I also think they are right.......
On the other hand, when I see them doing laundry in a large tub, over a wood fire, outdoors on a cold winter day, I'll stick to my automatic washer inside the house, even if it does need a costly parts from time to time.....
As far as getting them "saved", I'll leave that to the fire dept. or paramedics when they have an accident. I still do not understand the religious aspect of that word, because every religions has their own interpretation......
snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com wrote:

Yes, there is a lot to like and respect about their lifestyle, but I'm a BIG fan of modern technology, and things like central heat, AC, refrigators, microwave ovens and of course computers and the internet (of course I also push a mouse for a living!).
Jeff DeWitt

This from a man whose pickup truck was made by a company better known for one- and two-horsepower "vehicles" :)
nate
(still a little bitter at JP about that one, although it sounds like you've had your share of "issues" with it!)
N8N wrote:

Hey, I like old stuff too! Cool gadgets are cool gadgest, no matter what century they are from.
Jeff DeWitt
snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com wrote:

Oh, and I can fix my car when it breaks (or pay someone to do it), and as long as I'm willing to do that I can keep driving it, but I can't fix a horse... plus horses take a lot more care (then there is the pollution thing...)
Jeff DeWitt