Condensors white or silver?

Page 3 of 4
Ah, that makes as much sense as anything. Thanks.
Condensers and radiators are black for a reason. The darker object emits/loses heat more efficiently. It also absorbs heat better but when the source of heat is gone, heat will be released quicker. In science class, teachers have been demonstrating the effect to students for many years. In your case, I would leave the condenser black and find a way to shade it from direct sunlight with something painted in a light color. ^_^
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_are_car_radiators_painted_black
http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science/aqa_pre_2011/energy/heatrev2.shtml
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck%27s_law_of_black-body_radiation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_radiation
There is even special paint for radiators, you don't want too thick a coating.
http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-radiator-black-paint.html
TDD
*** snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

Actually black "releases" heat better than other colors! (In addition to absorbing heat better.)
http://www.nicindustries.com/heat_dissipation.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_radiation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_transfer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat
Far as I know, these are only used summer time, outdoors. Still, it give me cause to think.
Actually black "releases" heat better than other colors! (In addition to absorbing heat better.)
http://www.nicindustries.com/heat_dissipation.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_radiation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_transfer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I could be wrong but the purpose of the coils is to dispel heat from the compression. Paint them and they will do so less well. The possible exception would be if they got hotter than the ambient temperature.
IOW, I wouldn't paint, might make some shade if they got a lot of sun.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
I could be wrong but the purpose of the coils is to dispel heat from the compression. Paint them and they will do so less well. The possible exception would be if they got hotter than the ambient temperature.
IOW, I wouldn't paint, might make some shade if they got a lot of sun.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

If they are not hotter than the ambient temperature, they will not disple heat, but they will absorbe the heat and try to carry more heat back to the unit. The opposite of what is wanted.
Paint will tend to act as an insulation of sorts. You can anadosie the aluminum black and that should not make it act like insulation. That is often done for electronic equipment heat sinks to make them work beter.
On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 16:49:29 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

They *will* get hotter than the ambient temperature or the refrigerator can't work. The whole idea is to pump heat from inside the 'fridge into those coils, to get dissipated into the environment. If they're not hotter than the environment, heat can't flow out of them.

Absolutely.

gold. there's a reason the visors of astronauts are coated with a thin layer of gold
On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 12:27:42 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

There is, but that's not it.

okay, then there's a reason that electronics use it
On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 15:26:34 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

There sure is. They don't use it because it's cheaper than tin.
On Friday, October 19, 2012 6:26:22 PM UTC-4, Malcom Mal Reynolds wrote:

Yes, but that's still irrelevant. It's used in electronics because it conducts electricity well and resists corrosion, not because of heat conduction (or at least it's a minor factor).

it also reflects light (therefore heat) better than almost anything else
On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 11:46:31 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

Wrong.

electricity well and resists corrosion, not because of heat conduction (or at least it's a minor factor). It can also be vapor deposited to form a transparent, electrically conductive, surface. This can be useful for heating a glass substrate (think: clearing fog).

or on a parabolic reflector (not transparent) to gather more efficiently especially at low light levels
for those inclined to make such a solar water heater/cooker
On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 19:41:54 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

Gold? WRONG again.

Out of gold? WRONG! Use aluminum or silver.

Refrigerators & freezers should always be housed indoors, and even then positively shielded from heat sources and direct solar radiation. (Meaning zero direct sunlight.)
Bet you a buck if you read your refrigeration equipment manual, you'll find these environmental requirements stated within.
Yes, as others have noted, black is by far the most efficient color far as heat radiation goes... ever notice how condensers always come from the factory painted black? Keeping the condenser free of dust/spooge, and insuring free air circulation around it is a great long term energy saving measure
Erik
I agree, indoors, climate control, and so on. In this case, that's not gonna happen.
Refrigerators & freezers should always be housed indoors, and even then positively shielded from heat sources and direct solar radiation. (Meaning zero direct sunlight.)
Bet you a buck if you read your refrigeration equipment manual, you'll find these environmental requirements stated within.
Yes, as others have noted, black is by far the most efficient color far as heat radiation goes... ever notice how condensers always come from the factory painted black? Keeping the condenser free of dust/spooge, and insuring free air circulation around it is a great long term energy saving measure
Erik

Air circulation outweighs radiation. Do you see air conditioner coils painted black? If one had to put the coils in the sun, I would use a high heat silver paint, which are usually thin coats. It's not just the coils heating from the sun, it's the whole back, warming up the air which is supposed to be cooling things down. Just painting the back surface would help out, not touching the coils. Or best. Shade.
I think some backs are white, with black coils.
Greg