Compressor start relay

Sorry if this is the wrong newsgroup for this question.....
I have a Kenmore model 106.8590581, whose compressor start relay burnt up. FSP part no 1105046.
Looking around last night, it appears that they just plain old stopped making this part. I did find one site that had one...... for $175!!!!!!!
Jeezy Weezy..... it's just a darn relay.
So... 2 questions:
1) Anyone know a place to get hard to find/obsolete parts? 2) Could a start relay for a compressor with similar electrical characteristics be used instead? I know it wouldn't fit exactly where the old one did, but for some reason I have to think this darn relay isn't as complex as the space shuttle.
Any comments welcome.
Matt
Matt Morgan wrote:

You should be able to use any relay with the same (or better) electrical characteristics. Just mount it outboard to the existing relay (which is on the compressor) and run a few wires.

Call your local mom and pop appliance repair place, they usually stock universal starter relay kits for the fridges and that--probly cost you 20 to 30 bucks....
They will probly want to know how many cu. ft. the fridge is, as there is some different sizes that they sell.
--
SVL

Agree; BTW is that the type realy that's 'sort of upright' and plugs into the side of the compressor; often has varnished copper wire winding (you can see the turns of copper wire on the coil) etc. Someone might have one scrapped out of a similar fridge, for example I saw a whole compressor complete with relay in a junk store the other day for $15. Unless one knew something about refrigeration and recharging a system the compressor wouldn't be much use to anybody. But the relay on it looked intact! The relay is the kind of thing that an amateur and or professional might pull off and chuck in the junk box when a fridge is being junked. So I would certainly try a local family run repair business! Good luck.
Thanks all!
Went to repairclinic.com..... found one for $50, ordered it, on the way.
Amazing though.... called about 5 different places before I found them. Prices ranged from $125 to $500. Marcone wanted $375.
Thanks again!
Matt
Matt Morgan wrote:

FYI (next time) the Sears parts site shows the whole compressor (including the start relay and a bunch of other parts) for about $238!
When the relay on my fridge compressor died, I went to the appliance store and bought a universal solid state starter kit complete with overload thermal breaker for $18. John

Refrig guys have "three in one start kits". I can't think of the brand, but at least two companies make universal relay and overload combination kits for refrigeration compressors.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

in message

kits
I would guess those must be the ones with the bimetal disc that heats up and clicks instead of having magnetics, been there done that--never again.........
--

SVL

message

This is Turetle.
Don't be talking about Stormy's high end replacement parts. The high end RCO-410 is Stormy's high end replacement part for freezers and refrigerators. The numbers and Letter are hard to remember when under pressure answering question quickly on the alt.home.repair.
TURTLE
PM and Turtle:
To the OP, I would have used a Supco PO115, IF it was possible, since the cost on the solid state relay would have been under $25.
Now, Big T...I would have considered Stormy to be a RCO-810 kinda guy...and even the kind that would use a SPP in a pinch...I mean...it DOES say POW-R-Pac on it...:)
PM...I dunno...the Klixon style overload is actually what comes on most all your lower HP comps for general refrigeration use now....so while its a sure POS, it DOES work, provided that you (and you, T and I, DO) know how to properly install, set up, and charge one...:)

brand,
kits
RCO-410
question
OK All...
Got the new start relay (took the old one apart, completely charred inside).
Hooked it all back up, and all that happens is the start relay clicks on and off, on and off.
Reviewing the board for similar problems, I've found 3 steps to take from here:
1) Replace run capacitor. 2) Buy a "hard start" kit to squeeze maybe another year out of the thing. 3) Call the dump to come pick it up.
I left my ohmmeter at work, so no way to test the cap tonight. Just thought I'd see if anyone wants to place any bets on how this turns out.
Option #2 is not something I will consider, BTW :)
Thanks Matt
Whoops.
Sorry folks, there was a 4th possibility not even counted upon. Not even Sheriff Obie considered it.
4. Stupid homeowner who has no business messing with compressors, start relays or capacitors..... realizes that he hooked the new start relay up wrong.
Fridge is cooling now.
Thanks all, for your help and comments!!!!!!!!