compressor repair

I need some ideas on how to repair my air compressor please.
There is a small tube that comes out of the tank side of the compressor and goes into the housing where the guages and regulator are. I assume this is how the regulator knows what the air pressure in the tank is and also displays it on the guage. The plastic nipple on the housing of the regulator that the hose attaches to has broken off and the hose just flaps in the breeze. The result of all this is that the compressor just runs continuously and never stores enough pressure to even fill up a bicycle tire, much less a car tire. If I hold my thumb on the open side of the hose long enough, it allows the tank to fill up enough for a short while to blow up basketballs and bikes.
I have tried gluing the nipple back on with super glue and epoxy but that doesn't hold well enough. I have tried a couple of other small items but have been unsuccessful with those also. The problem is the point at where it attaches is a plastic casing and the hole where the air enters is probably 1/16" wide.
Short of buying a new compressor are there any ideas?

Every compressor I've seen there has been only one connection between tank and regulator and that is the one that supplies the air, not some additional small one for measuring pressure purposes. Without a picture, I think it's going to be hard to give much advice. Have you tried going to the manufacturer's website and seeing if parts are orderable? Or if this is a standard fitting, could you replace it with another off the shelf one? Buy a new cheap regulator?

That might be an unloader that permits the compressor to start without having any retained pressure in the system. Whatever, if the nipple is a molded on part, you need to buy a complete new regulator and hose assembly from the manufacturer. Good luck.
Joe

That's an unloader line. The unloader lets the pressure off the line between the actul compressor and the tank so it will be able to start again.
If it's big enough to tap and put a nipple in you might fix it that way. Otherwise you will have to replace that assembly. Parts are available for most major brands.
On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 11:43:54 -0700, jamesgangnc wrote:

That was my thought, too - maybe there's enough material in the body to drill into and either screw something in, or at least glue (with it fitting "into" the body it would hopefully be a little stronger than the problems the OP had with something just glued to the outside)
cheers
Jules
badgolferman wrote:

What kind of air compressor? Make, model....

Do you mean it comes out of the tank itself? ?????????????
and goes into the housing where the guages and regulator

Assuming there is room: You'll probably have to drill a new hole or minimum, tap/retap the tank and replace it with a metal nipple. Bring it to your friendly hardware helper and ask for advice; they'll usually help. Bring the broken part with you and a sketch of its application is it's not clearly understandable from the part itself.
HTH,
Twayne`
In typed:

Newsgroups are great places to get assistance.