Compressor oil reccomendation?

Hello, I have an old (1950's I beleive) Wayne air compressor with a 20-25 gal tank. I don't have a manual for it as it came in the garage when we bought the house. It has a single cylinder and runs off 220 volt power. I see that the oil level is down slightly so would like to top it up. Can anyone recommend the weight of compressor oil?... While I'm at it, can anyone recommend a website where I can get a pdf manual for such a compressor? I have googled Wayne Compressors and have lots of sites, but no manuals...have learnt that they were the compressor of choice for gas station owners in the

1920's though 1950's.............Thanks... Jim
Reply to
Jimi

What temperature is the place you will use it? Compressor oil runs from 10 through 40, but most use 20 or 30. If you are in an ambient of 60 or above, I'd use 30 weight. Expect to pay about $25 to $30 a gallon.

In the 1950's they did not use PDF files. Good luck finding a manual.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You can buy compressor oil from W.W.Grainger or Harbor Freight or even the big box stores. The oil is specially formulated for air compressors since the things tend to collect contaminants.

Compressor oils are either petroleum based or synthetic but many people use and recommend a

30 weight non detergent motor oil which should be easy to find anywhere.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

"Jimi" wrote in news:MvydnSNsBN47_mzVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.sasktel:

Oh, you mean when they all had repair bays and run by a crusty old white guys who were natural born citizens.

Reply to
Red Green

Cartoon: Crusty old white guy mechanic is showing a cardiologist a part removed from the doctor's Mercedes: "There's a lot we don't understand about the workings of a carburetor."

Reply to
HeyBub

Does it have a drain plug, even if not you change you motor, trans and differential oil, change the compressor. Contact a manufacturer on oil type. Maybe 20-30w

Reply to
ransley

Drain out the old oil and put in 10-30 or 10-40 regular or synthetic. Works fine.

Reply to
Blattus Slafaly

You need to use special oil design for air compressor next best would be Vacuum oil good luck! Tony

Reply to
Old and Grunpy

Your best bet is "compressor oil", which you can get at some hardware stores, auto parts stores, and certainly compressor shops. Otherwise, I belive the general recommendation is straight weight non-detergent oil. I believe I was told to change the oil in mine every 25-50 hours of run time.

Reply to
Bob F

Since you don't know how old the oil is, I'd suggest an oil change. Buy a quart of ND-30 from Napa or equivilant. Run the compressor for a couple minutes, and then shut down the power. Drain the oil (square head plug, at the bottom). Drain into a pan, or tin can or whatever. Mix the old oil in with the engine oil you take to the auto parts. Fill with new ND-30 and you're good to go for a couple years.

If your compressor looks a lot like a small engine, it's cause it is a lot like a small engine.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon