Completely Removing Cat Odor, Possible?

I'm looking to buy this cat lover's house. The house is full of cat hair and cat urine smell that I plan to replace all the carpet covered area with new carpet or hardwood.
Yet, I'm afraid that cat urine has penetrate through the capet and underlay to the floor board. AFAIK, the owner has been living in this house for the last ten years, probably having the cat(s) with him the same amount of time. And apparantly, he's pretty messy that I suspect he didn't even attemp to clean up the areas where the cat urinated on.
So is it possible to get this house odor free again with new carpet? Thanks.

In a word, NO. Carpet alone won't cut it, if it is in to the wood. Count on replacing subfloor as well. There are products that help reduce the smell, and people will jump in here swearing by them, but it has been my experience that the first damp day, the smell will be back. And don't forget that if he had a tomcat, the bottom few feet of drywall is also probably contaminated. (It only takes a few drops.) I love cats, but I'm allergic to them, and when I walk into wherever the catbox is when I visit people, I about gag. They honestly don't even notice the stench. I'd never consider buying a former cat house.
'Cleansing fire' comes to mind....
aem sends...

That's too bad (how you won't buy a house that previously had a cat). It must limit the number of potential houses that you can buy because:
"In 1987, cats overtook dogs as the number one pet in America (about 50 million cats resided in 24 million homes in 1986). About 37% of American homes today have at least 1 cat."
http://www.xmission.com/~emailbox/trivia.htm
That means that if you are looking at a house that already had 2 previous owners, odds are greater than 50% that it had a cat. After 3 owners it probably had a cat.
I wouldn't buy a house that smelled like cat urine, but I would definitely not refuse to buy a house simply because the previous owners had a cat.
Im alergic to cats and could not live in a house without major cleaning also. Don`t forger about the duct cleaning to be done , I dought a chemical will cure it , you may want to wait on carpet till you are sure. Houses like this basicly go dirt cheap, since you dont know what or how extensive repairs will be. Even Primer may need to be a special Fire -Smoke restoration type, Not cheap and toxic to use. I hope you get a great deal and bid new subfloors, wood , duct- furnace cleaning some drywall and 3 coats of paint for fire restoration. Your low price may end up being high with the agravation you will encounter. Get a GC out to bid it before you buy, you will be suprised at the cost.
Jerry Mouse, Ozone generators are dangerous-damaging to lungs, they Ozidise. The EPA limit is 50 ppb for 8 hrs , the Ionic Breeze crap outputs 50 ppb. There is alot of resarch done and ongoing that shows Ozone generators to be dangerous to people with any lung disease and damaging to everyone. I would not nor would my doctor have a Ozone producing anything in my house. Natural ozone is temporary not a continual bombardment of a damaging substance. Ozone will ozidise your lungs in high concentrations that " generators " produce.
My cousin owns a motel and has a commercial ozone machine he uses to clear rooms of bad odors. There is a strong instructions in the operating manual that one should set it for x hours for a certain size room, no-one should be in the room either while it is operation, or for 2 hours afterwards, and then a fan should be used to bring fresh air into the room for an hour before anyone goes into the room. But it sure works good.

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 04:01:18 GMT, "ameijers"

I agree. I avoid homes with cats, and I have not needed any medications. Also, I avoid hotels/motels that allow pets. When dating women, I find out if they have a cat or not--if they do, it's my last date with them. Outdoor dogs are okay, but who likes a smelly house?
Phisherman wrote:

Funny. Felix is the name of a cartoon cat AND of one of the Odd Couple. Ironic juxiposition.
I will call you felix.
Who likes a house with a big friendly dog to come over and say hi or just demand a scratch behind the ears.