Compact Fluorescent light bulbs?

We had problems with installation orientation when we first purchased Lights of America bulbs. Some burned out in just a few hours use upside down. We've had no problems with any other brand.

Gideon

==============

Trekking Tom wrote Do not install them in a wet environment ( bathroom) or installed upside down, or inside a globe. The electronic get too hot and will brun themselves out. I have them in my outdoor lights and they work great. Also through out the house.

Reply to
Gideon

I agree that fixtures should be more "CF friendly." But I should point out that we've had good luck with some "unfriendly" fixtures by purchasing socket extenders, which are very easy to find and rather inexpensive.

Gideon

=================

Michael Daly wrote

It's about time that we can get fixtures specifically designed for CFLs. I've been annoyed for years that many standard fixtures don't fit the screw-in CFLs very well - they either assume the base is small close to the threaded part and don't clear the ballast or don't provide clearance for taller CFLs.

Mike

Reply to
Gideon

We have good luck on bulb life. One 26w/100w equivalent bulb in my office never gets turned off. The bulb currently in that fixture has been in continuous service for over 3 years.

Gideon

=================

Reply to
Gideon

What brand and what rated lumen output are you getting for $0.33 per bulb? Your cost is almost as inexpensive as incandescent bulbs purchased at four for a dollar.

Gideon

======================

Walter R. wrote

Recently stocked up at Albertsons a 3 bulbs for $ 1.00 (26/100 Watts). Threw out all incandescents except a few to use with dimmers.

At the prices shown at servicelighting.com it would seemingly take a hundred years to see a measurable monetary benefit.

Reply to
Gideon

A good way to estimate the annual cost of operation for any electrical device which is in continuously operation is to "convert" the watts to dollars. This is based upon an assumption that the cost of electricity plus taxes is about 11 to 12 cents per kilowatt hour. So, your 9 watt bulb costs about $9 per year in operating costs, assuming 24/7 service.

If you are getting electricity at a cost which is significantly different from $0.11 to $0.12 per kWh, then it is very easy to mentally compute an adjusted annual operating cost estimate. Likewise, it is easy to estimate the annual cost if the device isn't operating 24/7.

Math:

1 watt x 24 hr/day x 365 days/year x 1kWh/1000watt-hr x $0.115/kWh = $1.01/year)

Gideon

Reply to
Gideon