Compact Flourescent Floodlight Bulbs

Page 2 of 2

I have a X-10 type controller (Powerhouse) hooked up to operate some outlets & lights (CF & standard). Works great for me. But yes the CF's don't dim.
~~Phil~~
Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB
On Sun 19 Jun 2005 08:10:16a, PHIL wrote in alt.home.repair:

Yes, they do.
http://tinyurl.com/7fxm8
--
Wayne Boatwright **

Some do, some don't. You have to look for dimmable if you want them to dim.
Mike

I was referring to my set-up
~~Phil~~
Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB
On Mon 20 Jun 2005 09:58:16a, PHIL wrote in alt.home.repair:

Sorry, I didn't realize that.
--
Wayne Boatwright տլ
On Mon 20 Jun 2005 09:22:09a, Michael Daly wrote in alt.home.repair:

Yes, true. The prices for dimmable are well above the standard CF also.
--
Wayne Boatwright տլ
AFAIK, there are no dimmable CF FLOODLAMPS. CF floods was what the OP was asking about.

"Wayne Boatwright" < snipped-for-privacy@waynes.gang> wrote in message
On Mon 20 Jun 2005 07:18:17p, Marilyn & Bob wrote in alt.home.repair:

Actually, Bob, there are.
http://tinyurl.com/7fxm8
I'm the OP and I happened to find these, but don't know how well they work and I'm not sure I can justify the price over non-dimmable units. I can get by with the non-dimmable floodlamps as long as I size the wattage to the room.
--
Wayne Boatwright **

Thanks for the info. Note that even dimmable CFs will not work with standard remote switches unless there is at least one incadescent bulb on the same switched citcuit.
--
Peace,
BobJ

On Tue 21 Jun 2005 08:04:22a, Marilyn & Bob wrote in alt.home.repair:

Hmm... That's interesting. I didn't know that. Guess I haven't done enough research.
--
Wayne Boatwright տլ
I think I said this earlier in the thread, but, to repeat, the X-10 and other remote switches that are only in-line with the hot wire (that is, do not also require a neutral wire connection) work on there being a trickle current running through the circuit. The trickle will occur if there is an incandescent bulb in the loop, but not if there are only fluorescents, even if they are dimmable.
Peace,
BobJ

"Wayne Boatwright" < snipped-for-privacy@waynes.gang> wrote in message
On Sat 18 Jun 2005 08:03:43a, Ray wrote in alt.home.repair:

Actually, some that I've read about can be used with a dimmer, but I don't know how well they work. They are also considerably more expensive. I don't think I'll need them to operate on a dimmer, however, since in addition to the 6 floodlights, I also have a central decorative suspended fixture which will be on a dimmer. That will probably suffice for lower level lighting.

--
Wayne Boatwright **

If you mean the ones that look like flood lights with the bell shaped housing: Don't bother. The housing serves no purpose and causes the bulb to retain heat. I had a pair that didn't last even two years. I replaced them with standard swirl bulbs and they have been going great for several years.
--
Just my $0.02 worth. Hope it helps
Gordon Reeder
On Sat 18 Jun 2005 07:50:52p, Gordon Reeder wrote in alt.home.repair:

Thanks! Food for thought.
--
Wayne Boatwright **