Compact Flourescent Floodlight Bulbs

Page 1 of 2
Any experience with these?
Our new kitchen will have 6 recessed cans that normally accomodate standard incandescent floodlight bulbs. For the sake of electrical consumption and heat output, I'd like to use CF floodlight bulbs, but have not used them before.
Other advantages? Disadvantages?
TIA
--
Wayne Boatwright **
On 6/18/2005 12:26 AM or thereabouts, Wayne Boatwright appears, somewhat unbelievably, to have opined:

I have them in my kitchen. The heat output is noticeably lower than the incandescents. Electrical consumption is rather substantially lower as well, but we're not talking about a huge savings here. Maybe a couple of bucks a year. If you decide to use these you will want to experiment with different brands as the quality of light is rather variable. I have settled on the GE as offering the color temperature that suits my taste best, but your mileage may vary.
--
I don\'t have a clue what I\'m talking about.

Lets see : say 23 watts instead of 100 for 6 lights, perhaps 8 hours a day, every day, $0.12 a KWH
(100-23)*6*8*365*.12/1000 = $161 a year. YMMV

OUCH!
we pay 7 cents here!
people up north get screwed on utilities!
We pay 6 cents to 8 cents/KWH here in Myrtle Beach SC, depending on which of the two power companies you have. If I had to pay 12 cents, I think i would move!
Stretch
On 6/18/2005 10:33 AM or thereabouts, Paul A appears, somewhat unbelievably, to have opined:

Having not done the math . . . I stand corrected. Electricity is a bit less around here, but the savings are still fairly substantial. Thanks
--
I don\'t have a clue what I\'m talking about.

On Sat 18 Jun 2005 01:05:57a, Dennis Turner wrote in alt.home.repair:

Thanks, Dennis. This was exactly the kind of information I was looking for.
--
Wayne Boatwright **
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Good light, but may be a little odd color for food prep. Most offer good light however. They are not as bad as many of the older lights. I tend to mix some incandescent along with the cfs in the bath and kitchen. You might try using all cf and see how you like the color.
Much less energy usage and less heat. Good even light and long life.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
On Sat 18 Jun 2005 04:06:48a, Joseph Meehan wrote in alt.home.repair:

In researching them I found that there are a variety of color temperatures available. This might make a singificant difference.
Thank you...
--
Wayne Boatwright **
On 18 Jun 2005 07:26:29 +0200, Wayne Boatwright

light.
Alan wrote:

You make a good point about the slow start, some are, or at least were. All of them I have bought recently have been fast starters. They also have had good color qualities. In fact they color is so good I chose them (mixed with some incandescent) for my bathroom light because of the quality.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
On Sat 18 Jun 2005 05:19:13a, Alan wrote in alt.home.repair:

I can't speak for the flood lamp configuration, but more recent CF bulbs I've bought have virtually instant start. The flood lamp configuration doesn't look any different than any other flood lamp, and there are now a variety of color temperatures available that might eliminate the color problem.
--
Wayne Boatwright **

Shop around. There are different types of cf lights. Some are instant-on other will take a couple seconds to turn on. They are available in different temperatures (degrees Kelvin, which makes the color of light displayed) depending on what they will be used for. They generate less heat and last several times longer. You will SAVE MONEY as they will more than pay for themselves over the life of the bulb in energy saved.
~~Phil~~
Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB
On Sat 18 Jun 2005 06:41:05a, PHIL wrote in alt.home.repair:

Thanks! Good point about the color temperature.
--
Wayne Boatwright տլ
Only real disadvantage is that you can not use them with a dimmer switch.

I found that the remote switches do not work either.
On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 10:05:12 -0700, "Pat"

and a CRI (Color Rendition Index).
For most kitchens, if you like to see the real color of the raw red meat you are cooking and make it appealing, you would pick a lower color temperature lamp (2500-3500 K) which emphasized the red light and the highest CRI you can find. The same applies to regular linear fluorescents although, these are easier to get. GE clearly labels one of their lines "for kitchens and bathrooms".
5000 K daylight lamps are used for photography and are bluish in color. Generally these would not be appropriate for a kitchen unless you are going for some unique architectural lighting scheme.
The highest color temperature CF lamps I could find in regular stock are 6500 K which are extremely blue. I use them outdoors because they look cool.
Beachcomber
On Sat 18 Jun 2005 12:07:27p, Beachcomber wrote in alt.home.repair:

Thanks! I was aware of different color temperatures, but not of the CRI. I will investigate further.
--
Wayne Boatwright **
You need to get a remote switch that is designed for fluorescents. These types of switches require a neutral connection at the switch. If you don't have a neutral at the switchbox, they will not work.

"Pat" < snipped-for-privacy@onlinemac.removecom> wrote in message
On Sat 18 Jun 2005 07:46:10p, Marilyn & Bob wrote in alt.home.repair:

Thanks... All good things to consider, however, I will not be using dimmers. The bulb dimensions is something I had thought about, and I'll need to measure the fixture to determine best bulb size.
--
Wayne Boatwright տլ