cold when stepping out of showers

Page 1 of 2

When I take a shower at my appartment, stepping out leaves me cold to the point of almost shivering. This is not the case, however, at some of the locations I've previously showered. It's been suggested that the reason for this is that the locations that I have showered at didn't have cement directly underneath them and that since those were I have felt cold, afterwards, do, that that's the reason.
The places where I haven't felt cold have usually been on the second floor or higher, whereas the places where I've taken showers on the first floor (presumably where the concrete would be) have left me cold. The one exception to this is an old house that was built in the 1920's, where first floor showers don't leave me cold.
Anyway, my question is... is the concrete indeed the reason? If not, what else might it be?
Also, say I were looking for a new appartment and was only able to chose from locations on the first floor of the complex. Are there any characteristics that I could ask about that'd mitigate the effect of the concrete (or whatever the cause is)?
Small electric heater turn on before showering, if you have a fan DONT use it till after your done showering and dressed the stem from the shower will heat the room nicely

This is terrible advice. Bathroom fans are to remove moist air from the room. They do NOT remove condensation. You want to get the air out of there ASAP.
But I guess if you're renting, and don't mind paying damages...
-Tim
I've NEVER had a fan in my shower for 27 years. I have no ill effects from this practice. Fans are for removing stink, nothing else.
--
Steve Barker

"Tim Fischer" < snipped-for-privacy@nobody.invalid> wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 10:42:30 -0500, "Steve Barker LT"

I think you'd better read some of the exhaust fan manufacturer's web sites. The fans certainly remove bad smells, as long as you have a gap under your bathroom door for fresh air to come in to replace the foul air. However, the removal of the hot, steamy air from a bathroom is probably just as important a function.
My bathroom is about to get a new exhaust fan with a heat lamp. That'll knock down the chill, as well.
Mike
And while I'm reading the fan site, you can read the hummer site. They'll probably convince you that you need one of those also. You can't believe everything you read you know.
--
Steve Barker

"Mike M." < snipped-for-privacy@nospam.aol> wrote in message
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

[snip]
You're making this waaaaaaay more complicated than it needs to be. You can get a small, portable, electric space heater at Wal-Mart for twenty or thirty bucks, which will keep you nice and toasty warm.
--
Regards,
On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 13:23:56 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Yes, and at the same time make sure the receptacle is GFCI-protected

Mark Lloyd
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Maybe because the area outside the shower is cold, especially relative to the interior of the enclosure. Tried a thermometer?
Cold drafts entering the room from outside don't help either, and are much more likely at lower elevations of a building than above.
Thought about an infrared heater?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Another example of "How dumb can some be". Where do you get heat? From a "HEATER"! Your High School Teacher had to be dumber than you.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Why don't you just dry off while you're still in the shower stall?
Larry Bud wrote:

I do. Unfortunatly, I get cold even in the shower stall shortly after the hot water's been turned off.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

My guess is your new bathroom is larger than the old one and may have a fan or a better one.
Answer in any case is short term, add an electric heater. Long term add in floor radiant heat.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Think fuzzy floor-mat.
Why don't you try turning up the heat?
--
Steve Barker

On 23 Oct 2006 06:16:59 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Dude...... There are millions of people in the United States that dont even have heat in their homes because of poverty. Yet you come on here whining about getting cold feet when stepping out of a shower. Apparently your mother never taught you about throw rugs. Go to your local dollar store and buy a friggin rug for one or two bucks and get on with life. Otherwise, you can always rent a room room at an expensive classy motel for $2000 per night and always have toasty warmth against your tootsies by enjoying their throw rugs, and they even supply enough towels to place several on top of their rugs.
snipped-for-privacy@this-is-not-real.org wrote:

Dude..... There are billions of people in the world that dont even have computers in their home because of poverty. Yet people whine about their problems every day on newsgroups such as alt.computer?
Or... or.. how about this?
There are millions of people in Africa that dont even have homes because of poverty. Yet people whine about their problems every day on this newsgroup?
snipped-for-privacy@this-is-not-real.org wrote:

Spoken like someone whose mother used to say: "Think of all the starving people in Africa! Eat your beets!"
The relative condition of those with lesser resources is irrelevant. If they insist in living in cold-water flats, that's their choice and has no bearing on whether I wrap myself in a Pierre Cardin bathrobe or at ratty towel.

Well, ignoring the "it's their choice" part, true enough. But I think the real point was typically when one is cold, they turn up the heat, or if one's feet are cold, they get a fuzzy rug. Not exactly rocket science.
-Tim
If I pay $2000 / night, I expect something beside a coupla rugs to keep me warm...if you get my drift.