Cold weather adaptation around the house

For many people all they need to do is quit smoking or drinking for a couple weeks to be able to afford to insulate - and then the cost of the utilities drops so much that they can afford to smoke themselves to death and go on the bender of a lifetime with the money they save on utilities.

Reply to
clare

Per Phil Kangas:

Bunch of years ago I saw a documentary on one of the indigenous people of Siberia. Those guys seemed to have written the book on cold-weather survival - as in room-temperature digits below zero F.

One technique I remember was a sort of house-within-a-house where they would put up a tent inside a larger tent and live in that tent. No fire, no fuel, no heat, of course.... Might even have been three tents, one inside the other.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

That probably is one advantage, but I was thinking along the lines of how much power would be saved from one portable heater over another type. The radiant heat may be beter for saving money,but wouldn't one have to have it pointed at you and if several in the same room some would be in the cold area ?

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I'm glad I found something that finally actually works.

Reply to
Muggles

"Ralph Mowery" <

Our snowfall here so far this year is 187" . Not far from here it is higher, like over 200". pdk

Reply to
Phil Kangas

When the ceramic "black box" heaters came out, they were supposed to be more fire safe. I don't know how true this is, but the absence of glowing filament seemed good.

Not sure how safe it is, having a couple quarts of heated oil, though.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

During power cut 2003, I heard of a Mormon family pitching a tent in the living room, and hunkering in the bunker that way. Must have made some sense, then.

Also heard of folks who nail a blanket over a door way and live in one room.

The Siberian thing is, like groovy and far out. I mean, totaly in tents. (homonym: intense. For those who missed the joke. Which is why I am extensively explaining the joke, for those who didn't yet get it.)

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor. If one doesn't smoke, the circulation returns after a while, and the person is more warm and comfy.

My father used to have cold fingers and toes and nose. Maybe that's why he chose his final rest as cremation? Keeps him warm.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

This time of year, I have the hair style of Donald Trump, and the warmth of Hillary! the wicked witch of the East.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That is some kind of serious cold. Did the little baby grow up to be an eskimo? I figure to be on the computer for another hour or so. And then go to bed and pile on the blankets. This low temp routine does not appeal to me, at all.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm sure this has been said so many times over the years. But, so little works these days. Nice to hear some thing that does work.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

This is the heater that I bought 2 of:

Got great reviews, and works very well.

Reply to
Muggles

The first born survived just fine. That was one of the worst winters. There was an ice storm and it shut down that city. People were getting around by ice skating where they needed to go.

Reply to
Muggles

Dat's da truth!

Reply to
Muggles

That's no fun at all. Well, maybe it is. I used to like ice skating.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks for the link. Eighty bucks is pricey. But worth it, if it works. As for me, I'd keep my ceramic heater, and use the eighty bucks to buy more electricity.

But then, I may not be typical of all users.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Per Oren:

When I had been living in Hawaii for about six years, I was waiting to go on duty to my nighttime job as assistant manager in a Waikiki hotel.

Was sitting in a tourist trap called "The International Marketplace", wearing a long-sleeved cardigan sweater and freezing my pasty white butt off.

Some tourist fresh off the plane from someplace like Broken Pelvis, Montana chose to sit down on the same bench.

I guess he felt like he had to say something - and his opening line was "Sure is hot and muggy here...."

In fact, I had never even *heard* of home air conditioning in all the years I lived in Hawaii....

Went back 40-some years later for a month to look up old acquaintances and see how their lives came out.

Sure enough, in the B&B I stayed in I had the AC running virtually all the time I was in the place.

So I guess our bodies adapt...

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

It was 6 degrees last night, which is unusually low for our area. I covered the greenhouse with a tarp on Saturday afternoon to keep the heat in and it was 57 in there when we woke up this morning. Maybe you could rig a sort of tarp tent over your trailer.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

I was more into roller skating.