Cold weather adaptation around the house

Page 3 of 4
On 2/13/2016 11:18 PM, Muggles wrote:

Thanks for the link. Eighty bucks is pricey. But worth it, if it works. As for me, I'd keep my ceramic heater, and use the eighty bucks to buy more electricity.
But then, I may not be typical of all users.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 2/14/2016 7:26 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I understand.
--
Maggie

On 2/14/2016 12:16 PM, Muggles wrote:

More seriously, I've been pleased with my natural gas furnace, which has obediently kept the indoor temp at the set point. Can't complain about that.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I feel they are safer. Except in one case described here, Burst into flames from leak. Perhaps thermostat stuck. Like to run them full on so they don't cycle. Just turn watts down.
Greg
On 2/16/2016 4:11 AM, gregz wrote:

Tuesday Feb 16, 2016 Last night, I had a rare but welcome service call. Less than inch of snow. The weather guys are saying that a snow storm is expected, leaving plenty of snow. I got home about 10 PM and it was snowing, but no new accumulation.
8 AM wake up, finds seven (7) inches of wet, heavy heart attack snow on the side porch. Not what I wanted to see. Now, it's time to go shovel and see if the snow blower runs. And if it works on this wet and heavy.
Guess a hearty breakfast and a few ibuprophen will be my best friend this morning. A couple years ago, I tried a headset radio and listen to news and information while shovelling. Might try that again.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 2/16/2016 8:40 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

And it's still Tuesday. I cleared most of the snow from one vehicle, fatigue took over. Find out there is a travel advisory, the snow plows cannot keep up with the snow. I am going to cancel all my plans, and stay home. Eat, go back to bed, read books, watch some TV shows. Just cancel the entire day and wait for tomorrow.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 2/13/2016 2:40 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The 2 that I bought has great reviews. They have a thermostat and can cycle between the heat settings and even turn itself off when temps are reached, then turn itself back on and cycle through the heat settings again.
IOW, it'll heat up the oil in the radiator, turn itself off while it radiates the heat, and when it cools down, it'll do it again. It's not using power to heat all the time - only uses power to heat the oil and when it's to temp it cycles off. Make sense?
--
Maggie

On 2/13/2016 3:49 PM, Muggles wrote:

Cycling stat like that is akin to put ten bucks in the gas tank each time. It works out the same, over time.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

The net power used is the same. One difference is it is RADIANT heat - which heats you without heating the air around you. Actually, it is partly radiant heat, as the air does get heated somewhat by contacting the body of the heater - but it is primarily a "radiator", so a draft or opening a door doesn't dump all the heat (contained in the air) out the door.
On 2/13/2016 4:11 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I'm glad I found something that finally actually works.
--
Maggie

On 2/13/2016 6:16 PM, Muggles wrote:

I'm sure this has been said so many times over the years. But, so little works these days. Nice to hear some thing that does work.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 2/13/2016 7:15 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Dat's da truth!
--
Maggie

People in farm country would put plastic over the windows and stack some straw bales around the houses years ago. The fortunate ones had a good windbreak north and west of their houses. It was also nicer if the outhouse door wasn't on the north or west side of it.

On 2/13/2016 11:21 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Both good idas. I've got some window plastic. I'm sure the park would disapprove if I used hay bales. This summer, a friend crawled under and found some holes in the insullation. He was kind enough to call out sizes for me. I cut pieces to shape, and slid them in. Also handed in screws, drill drivers, washers, etc. Hope that helps, it certainly must help.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

If you have enough snow to work with, shovel it up against the house as high as you can depending on how much you have. Around here we call it 'banking the house'. Snowbank against the house that is. Sure makes a difference! I call my house a form for an igloo. If there was enough snow I would bury it! phil k.

If I had that much snow I woul MOVE. Around here if we get 4 inches a couple of times a year that is a lot. I think we have had about 12 to 16 inches at a time about 3 times in the 60 years I can remember. Some years almost none.
"Ralph Mowery" <

Our snowfall here so far this year is 187" . Not far from here it is higher, like over 200". pdk
Oren posted for all of us...

I thought you couldn't wear shorts because of exposure problems...
--
Tekkie

Oren posted for all of us...

es a

o 16

years

I was referring to the schlong exposure.
--
Tekkie

On 2/13/2016 4:10 PM, Phil Kangas wrote:

One time when I was a kid, I burried my legs in snow (while wearing a snow suit). Entirely to my surprise, that was warmer than being on top of the snow.
Yes, the banking sounds like a great idea. My snow is presently about one inch or less, but I'll do that when the moment presents. Thank you.
--
.
Christopher A. Young