Cold weather adaptation around the house

Page 2 of 4
On 2/13/2016 11:20 PM, Muggles wrote:

That's no fun at all. Well, maybe it is. I used to like ice skating.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 2/14/2016 7:25 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I was more into roller skating.
--
Maggie

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 15:52:23 -0500, Stormin Mormon

For many people all they need to do is quit smoking or drinking for a couple weeks to be able to afford to insulate - and then the cost of the utilities drops so much that they can afford to smoke themselves to death and go on the bender of a lifetime with the money they save on utilities.
On 2/13/2016 5:13 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor. If one doesn't smoke, the circulation returns after a while, and the person is more warm and comfy.
My father used to have cold fingers and toes and nose. Maybe that's why he chose his final rest as cremation? Keeps him warm.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Muggles wrote:

I just toss another log on the fire and open the inlet air damper a bit . Right now it's in the high 30's and I've got the stove turned all the way down and a couple of windows cracked so it doesn't get too warm ... this stove is way oversized for our current space . Sized it for the final structure , about 4X the current floor space .
--
Snag
And we don't care if the utilities go off , if we need 'lectric I just fire
Terry Coombs wrote:

My first house built in the '70s had wood burning fire place I retrofit to natural gas burning. This house has 2 fire places direct vented gas burning, even cabin I am going out today(family day long week end) has same gas fire place. No more stacking/splitting wood,LOL.
Sounds like 5th wheel trailer I used to have for camping was better insulated. I could go winter camping and it was comfy inside. Cold in winter, then hot in summer as well...... Worried about more bugs in coming summer here because we are having such a mild winter. High temperature record set in 1926 is broken now.
On 2/13/2016 12:28 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

It has to get pretty cold for us to fire up the wood stove because the thing puts out more heat than we really need.
--
Maggie

Muggles wrote:

We have only one other choice , and heating the whole living space with the propane furnace in the camper is not only hard on that furnace , costs a lot for the propane . Well , I guess we could use 'lectric heaters , but that's costly too . Besides , cutting and splitting the firewood helps keep me (relatively) slim and fit . Though I've managed to add a little bit in front - my wife says she's going to get me a tee shirt that says "Body by Busch" .
--
Snag

On 2/13/2016 2:57 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Nothing wrong with a little beer belly. If you work, and are fit, hey, enjoy. I like light beer every now and then, myself.
--
Maggie

On 2/13/2016 3:57 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

I've known people who had wood burning stoves. I've enjoyed picking fire wood off the curb side, and helped with the cutting and all. It's a very good use of time. Well, for me anyway.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Turning up the heat should not be required - the furnace will run until the set temperature is reached - unless the thermostat is on the sheltered side of the wall close to the heat sourse and the house is so drafty that the rest of the house never gets warm...
On 2/13/2016 2:27 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

We used to have a floor furnace, bit it died of old age. We replaced it with a wall gas heater, so now 2 rooms have those. The heat is OK while they are on, but just don't produce enough heat for the whole house. The back bedroom has some electric baseboard heaters and a wood stove. Again, not quite enough heat via the electric baseboard heaters, and it's messy to use the wood stove unless it's gets cold enough to put up with the mess, including, putting up with the occasional smoke while building fires. That can really mess with my asthma, so it's a use when we really need it kind of thing.
We've tried various kinds of space heaters, and none of them really kept the house warm until we tried the oil radiator type on wheels. The brand I researched had good reviews, too, and since we've been using them we rarely get cold anymore. Best space heaters I've ever tried.
--
Maggie

On 2/13/2016 3:27 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I do have a programmable thermostat. Some how, it seems to always be at the wrong temp. Or, I go away for a few hours, and put it on manual to turn it down. Finally, I left it on manual, and adjust as needed. Down at night for sleep, up for daytime occupancy.
Some how, seems to work out okay.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 2/13/2016 11:18 AM, Muggles wrote:

My Dad liked his oil filled radiator. I've always been a fan forced heat kind of guy. But, I may try oil filled, some day. Thank you.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I would like to be proven wrong, but I just do not see any advantage over the oil filled heaters over the electric heaters that just have a heating element and a fan blowing across them. Isn't electric heat just the same either way and you are wasting the money on a more expensive heater ? Anything that produces heat from elecrtricity is going to use the same ammout of KWH to raise the room to the same temperature.
On 2/13/2016 3:48 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I've heard that 1500 watts provides 5,200 BTU per hour, no matter how you slice it. Some folks like infrared heaters, and others like fan forced hot air. All works out about the same.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

My guess would be fire safety.
--
Pete Cresswell

That probably is one advantage, but I was thinking along the lines of how much power would be saved from one portable heater over another type. The radiant heat may be beter for saving money,but wouldn't one have to have it pointed at you and if several in the same room some would be in the cold area ?
On 2/13/2016 5:09 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

When the ceramic "black box" heaters came out, they were supposed to be more fire safe. I don't know how true this is, but the absence of glowing filament seemed good.
Not sure how safe it is, having a couple quarts of heated oil, though.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 2/13/2016 6:38 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

This is the heater that I bought 2 of:
http://tinyurl.com/jbdyuqh
Got great reviews, and works very well.
--