Cold weather adaptation around the house

I was talking about YOU and YOUR POS living quarters Stormy .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

The 2 that I bought has great reviews. They have a thermostat and can cycle between the heat settings and even turn itself off when temps are reached, then turn itself back on and cycle through the heat settings again.

IOW, it'll heat up the oil in the radiator, turn itself off while it radiates the heat, and when it cools down, it'll do it again. It's not using power to heat all the time - only uses power to heat the oil and when it's to temp it cycles off. Make sense?

Reply to
Muggles

I know the concept. Money for insullation? No gots -- all the money is going to utilities. You need money to save money.

I hope that works out for you.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Whew. At least I remembered one gender correctly.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I do have a programmable thermostat. Some how, it seems to always be at the wrong temp. Or, I go away for a few hours, and put it on manual to turn it down. Finally, I left it on manual, and adjust as needed. Down at night for sleep, up for daytime occupancy.

Some how, seems to work out okay.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

We have only one other choice , and heating the whole living space with the propane furnace in the camper is not only hard on that furnace , costs a lot for the propane . Well , I guess we could use 'lectric heaters , but that's costly too . Besides , cutting and splitting the firewood helps keep me (relatively) slim and fit . Though I've managed to add a little bit in front - my wife says she's going to get me a tee shirt that says "Body by Busch" .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

If you have enough snow to work with, shovel it up against the house as high as you can depending on how much you have. Around here we call it 'banking the house'. Snowbank against the house that is. Sure makes a difference! I call my house a form for an igloo. If there was enough snow I would bury it! phil k.

Reply to
Phil Kangas

So far we're warm. Hope you get warm, too.

Reply to
Muggles

I've heard that 1500 watts provides 5,200 BTU per hour, no matter how you slice it. Some folks like infrared heaters, and others like fan forced hot air. All works out about the same.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I hope you enjoy the eight by ten photos I sent last week, in the mail? I circled the major POS features which make me so proud.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Nothing wrong with a little beer belly. If you work, and are fit, hey, enjoy. I like light beer every now and then, myself.

Reply to
Muggles

Cycling stat like that is akin to put ten bucks in the gas tank each time. It works out the same, over time.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've known people who had wood burning stoves. I've enjoyed picking fire wood off the curb side, and helped with the cutting and all. It's a very good use of time. Well, for me anyway.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If I had that much snow I woul MOVE. Around here if we get 4 inches a couple of times a year that is a lot. I think we have had about 12 to 16 inches at a time about 3 times in the 60 years I can remember. Some years almost none.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I'm back from the store. Buy some no cook foods. Turn up the thermostat when I got home, and now it's warm. Thanks for the good wishes.

Last time it was this cold, I had frost on the wall in my bedroom. Since that time, I've stapled on a couple layers of corrugated cardboard. And it's a bit warmer in there. Crude, but works.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

One time when I was a kid, I burried my legs in snow (while wearing a snow suit). Entirely to my surprise, that was warmer than being on top of the snow.

Yes, the banking sounds like a great idea. My snow is presently about one inch or less, but I'll do that when the moment presents. Thank you.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Once upon a time we lived in a rental house that had no insulation at all. It got so cold that the toilet bowl froze. We'd have to heat water on the stove and pout it into the bowl to get it to flush before we could use it.

The only heat we had was a kerosene heater that we had to move from room to room. When we'd go to bed at night we had to tuck the baby into a dresser drawer with blankets to keep her warm enough even though the k. heater was in the bedroom with us.

STAY WARM!

Reply to
Muggles

The blow-through "Redneck Bungalow"

Reply to
clare

Per Ralph Mowery:

My guess would be fire safety.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

The net power used is the same. One difference is it is RADIANT heat

- which heats you without heating the air around you. Actually, it is partly radiant heat, as the air does get heated somewhat by contacting the body of the heater - but it is primarily a "radiator", so a draft or opening a door doesn't dump all the heat (contained in the air) out the door.

Reply to
clare