Cold caulk

Page 1 of 2
After I read about it here, I bought a tube of 3M Fire Barrier Sealant, but when I got home and read more I decided it wasn't what I want.
I put it in the car to take it back and didn't think about temperature. It was there for 2 days, all of it 30 or below and last night was 10F.
Am I obliged to keep the stuff and try to find a use for it?
The tube itself says to "store between 40 and 90F for maxmum shelf life."
Add pictures here
βœ–

Whether you intended to or not, the caulk was likely compromised, and it is a life safety item. You know the store will assume you did the right thing and didn't damage the caulk, they have no way of telling what you did or didn't do, and they will put it back on the shelf. Someone else will buy it. The question is - would you want to be the guy buying that compromised caulk? Let that guide you.
βœ–

I wholeheartedly agree with Rico's & Red Green's comments....... returning potentially compromised material (especially something like a fire protection product) is unethical.
But here the are the "Storage Conditions" from the 3M product information
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=66666UuZjcFSLXTt4XTtNXTyEVuQEcuZgVs6EVs6E666666--
5. Packaging, Storage, Shelf Life
Packaging          Product packaged in cartridge or pail is enclosed in HDPE plastic containers, sausage is packaged in aluminum foil wrap Storage               3M™Fire Barrier Sealant CP 25WB+ should be stored indoors in dry conditions between 40°F and 90°F (4°C and                32°C) in the original unopened package. Avoid repeated freeze / thaw exposures of the 3M™ Fire Barrier Sealant                CP 25WB+ prior to installation.
Shelf Life          3M Fire Barrier Sealant CP 25WB+ shelf life is 12 months in original unopened containers from date of packaging                when stored above 68°F (2°C).
the operative phrase is " Avoid repeated freeze / thaw exposures of the 3M™ Fire Barrier Sealant    CP 25WB+ prior to installation."
Looks like you're home free with only a single freeze thaw cycle. What's expiration date or date of mfg?
cheers Bob
Add pictures here
βœ–

That was my first reaction. But then it occurred to me that maybe people who actually knew would say that it truly doesn't matter, that they are good down to -20, and shelf life is the same. In the same way someone asked about the warnings "California has determined that ingredients in this product may be dangerous to your health". I hadn't seen that at the time, but I recently bought a little bag of little plumbing parts, all of them copper. They're not dangerous, but it seems they include the ingredients warning on almost everything now.
So of course I will do the right thing, or I wouldn't have bothered to ask. I just thought it conceivable that I had done no harm.
I wrote this and then DD_ replied to you:

That's what it says, but fwiw, 68F isn't 2C. I think they do mean 68F.

It turns out that it is 3M™ Fire Barrier Sealant    IC 15WB+ but inspired by you, I looked for that product sheet and it is word for word the same as th eone you found.

It's getting there. What do other people think?

Hard to read: 0_IARN maybe. That would mean 2010 and the next 3 characters are supposed to be numbers, so I can't tell at all. But most of 2010 was less than a year ago. If it were about to expire anyhow, that would get me off the hook, but if it's not, does that mean anything?

Add pictures here
βœ–
Shelf Life 3M Fire Barrier Sealant CP 25WB+ shelf life is 12 months in original unopened containers from date of packaging when stored above 68°F (2°C).
reply:
Some analysis. 2C5.6F. I thought that was wrong, as 0C is 32F, and 2 isn't far above that.
Steve
Add pictures here
βœ–

An obvious misprint: 20 degrees C = 68 degrees F.
Joe
Add pictures here
βœ–

Yes, we all realize that. Thanks.
βœ–
On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 19:26:36 -0800 (PST), RicodJour

That was my first reaction. I only posted on the possibility that people who actually knew would say that it truly doesn't matter, that they are good down to -20, and shelf life is the same. In the same way someone asked about the warnings "California has determined that ingredients in this product may be dangerous to your health". I hadn't seen that at the time, but I recently bought a little bag of little plumbing parts, all of them copper. They're not dangerous, but it seems they include the ingredients warning on almost everything now.
So of course I will do the right thing, or I wouldn't have bothered to ask. I just thought it conceivable that I had done no harm.
Add pictures here
βœ–

That is another one in my long line of crusades. If people are warned about everything, they'll feel nothing is safe, which of course is and isn't true, but the over-riding point is that it makes people's perceived quality of life go down and with no appreciable benefit.
A girlfriend had her sister and BIL the cop remonstrating with her to change her voicemail so it wouldn't be a woman's voice who lives alone. WTF? Yeah, the bad guys are just calling around at random to see if her _answering_ machine picks up. What happens if she picks up? Does that mean she lives with someone? Idiots giving advice based on some bullshit and scaring people for no reason. I told her to have the cop call me and I'd point out in three or four sentences why on this particular topic he has no fookin' clue what he's talking about.
Another one - "Don't talk to strangers!" If some kid comes up to me and needs help, they're getting it. And not the run of the mill I'll point you in the right direction kind of help, but the sorry gotta go I'm seeing this kid safely home help. Most people would be like that. Your average stranger is a good person, and scaring kids into thinking that all strangers are dangerous is one of the most stupid things I can think of. It messes up the kids, messes up the future and messes up everybody's life for a long time.

Of course the odds of the caulk being ruined are not knowable, but a hard freeze definitely 'damaged' the caulk to some degree. It's one of those I'll take the hit for the peace of mind things. A few bucks, and you know you did the right thing. You'll sleep better, and, after all it is latex caulk and using it in a non-critical application would probably be just fine. It's when people make choices for the other guy that they really have no business making that things get sticky ethically.
So sleep well tonight. ;)
βœ–
On 02/22/2011 09:17 PM, RicodJour wrote:

sadly, I'd probably do the same, but would think twice and be somewhat concerned about it. Just as easily you could be accused of all sorts of bad stuff by a kid and/or over-protective parents.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 22:07:30 -0500, Ricky wrote:

Your caulk shrunk in the cold.
--
"Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies
the
On 1/22/2011 9:07 PM, Ricky wrote:

It may have water in it, I just used a tube a couple of days ago and was able to wash it off my hands with plain water. I don't know if freezing will break it down or not but the trailer it's shipped to the supplier in is not heated and I'm sure it gets below freezing when shipped in the winter months.
TDD
Add pictures here
βœ–
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Ya might try calling 3M customer care, http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/WW2/Country/Corp/Contact3M/
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 1/23/2011 9:19 AM, FatterDumber& Happier Moe wrote:

I have no reason to contact 3M, I'm completely satisfied with the performance of the product. :-)
TDD
Add pictures here
βœ–
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Call them anyway and ask for some coupons for something.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Dollar to a donut hole I bet they tell you to buy more caulk.
Steve
Add pictures here
βœ–

I'm not the right one to ask. I make a point to buy dented cans and damaged packages so the stores won't loose money, so that society won't waste resources. In this case, if I knew it was out in the cold for 2 days, I might well buy it. Especially after DD_'s and Dufas's posts.
Dented, not bulging, which tends to mean that poison is growing.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Hmmm. Most people do that to save money. Do you pay full price? ;)
I do appreciate your thinking, though. And I do appreciate that you cared enough about the caulk to ask the question.

Bob's comment that you're home free is assuming that the caulk wasn't already exposed to repeated freezing, and, again, that's something you don't know. All you do know is that you subjected it to one hard freeze and increased the odds of there being a problem. It's a latex caulk, so you could find a place to use it up.
βœ–
On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 07:40:48 -0800 (PST), RicodJour
I'm also mailing a copy because this thread is so old, I don't know if you'll seen it on home repair.

I'm happy to save money, and I look at the discount rack, but if it's in the rest of the store, at full price, I'll still do it.
It's been a long time. I may have started on purpose, or maybe when the only can they had was dented, or a box was unglued at the top but the cellophane or whatever was sealed, or when I didn't notice this and the cashier pointed it out, I didn't want to leave the checkout line and rush around, and I thought, Heck, it's okay anyhow. After I did it, I felt like I had accomplished two things, gotten the food and saved it from destruction, so for 10 or more years I've made a point, not to buy something I wasnt' going to buy, but to buy what I intended in damaged packaging.
I'll buy something I wasn't going to buy but might like if the price is reduced enough. On the discount rack here, it's marked at 50% off.

True.
Well, I don't do that much and I have 90% of the tube left that I did use, the similar product (fire block instead of fire barrier), also by 3M, so I probably never will use the unopened tube.
I haven't called 3M for their advice yet. It's always the weekend or late when I think of it, but I'm keeping the tube warm and cozy, under a baby blanket.

Add pictures here
βœ–

I posted recently about microwaving cold caulk. It was suggested that I put it in warm water for a while. Then someone found a site that said plainly that it could be microwaved for about 30 seconds. I'd let it get room temperature, see if that works, and inspect for any foil, and if none is found, microwave the room temperature caulk for 15 seconds, and then try that. Freezing may have affected it on a nonrepairable basis. You just have to get it warm and try it. Maybe it will work. At worst, you lose $5, and gain the experience of keeping your caulk warm.
Steve
Add pictures here
βœ–