clogged kitchen sink

I thought I'd ask for any ideas here. My kitchen sink is clogged. The water drains VERY slowly, taking hours for a couple inches of water to pass. I tried a liquid drain cleaner, didn't work. I tried a plunger. Didn't help. I removed two elbows under the sink and used a snake to about 10 feet. Didn't help. I called a plumber but he won't be there for several days so I thought I'd ask here. There is a garbage disposal and I'm not sure if it is involved or not. Also, I had a new dishwasher installed a few weeks ago and I don't know if it somehow is involved. Just thought I'd mention all the variables. Thanks in advance for any help.
BonnieJean wrote:

Very good chance. You say you used a snake. Could you provide some more details? How long is the snake? Did you snake past the disposal? Did it start slowing down before it got so slow. When did you first notice it slowing down? How about other drains in your home; any problems?

I can't think of a way, but it does bring up the question. Does the dishwasher empty normally?

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
| BonnieJean wrote: | > I thought I'd ask for any ideas here. | > My kitchen sink is clogged. The water drains VERY slowly, taking | > hours for a couple inches of water to pass. | > I tried a liquid drain cleaner, didn't work. I tried a plunger. | > Didn't help. I removed two elbows under the sink and used a snake to | > about 10 feet. Didn't help. I called a plumber but he won't be there | > for several days so I thought I'd ask here. There is a garbage | > disposal and I'm not sure if it is involved or not. | | Very good chance. You say you used a snake. Could you provide some | more details?
How long is the snake? 15 feet
Did you snake past the disposal? I used the snake from under the sink for about 10 feet.
Did it start slowing down before it got so slow. About a day or two. When did you first notice it | slowing down?
How about other drains in your home; any problems? No, not at all. | | > Also, I had a new | > dishwasher installed a few weeks ago and I don't know if it somehow | > is involved. | | I can't think of a way, but it does bring up the question.
Does the dishwasher empty normally? I've only run it twice so far but it is working correctly | | > Just thought I'd mention all the variables. | > Thanks in advance for any help.
Since my original post, I unscrewed the pipe going to the disposal from under the sink. There isn't anything in it. And the disposal runs normally---no weird sounds. After overnight, it takes awhile for the water to reach the sink...probably about 30 seconds. Maybe the clog is farther than my snake. And I know nothing bizarre went down there like a rag. Geezzz, I hope the plumber can come ASAP. Not being able to use the kitchen sink really sucks. It's the little things you know.
I have seen in hardware stores that sell plumbing stuff an inflateable device you insert into the drain and then hook the hose up to it, maybe this will blast the clog away.
I would think that if you bypass the disposal this might work, applying a small amount of water pressure at a time, then use a enzyme drain cleaner to finish the job.
Tom

tflfb wrote:

Yes, that's a useful device, but one caveat: If the sink drain has a vent connection (in the wall), the hose will merely force water all the way up the vent, without affecting the clog. Then, when you pull the hose out a mighty flood ensues. Just a "heads up". Jim

Now that's an image.... And a potential work saver. Thanks for the warning.
NJBrad
I have seen in hardware stores that sell plumbing stuff an inflateable device you insert into the drain and then hook the hose up to it, maybe this will blast the clog away.
I would think that if you bypass the disposal this might work, applying a small amount of water pressure at a time, then use a enzyme drain cleaner to finish the job.
Tom

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 06:12:08 -0400, "BonnieJean"

an elbow.
BonnieJean wrote:

No great advice, just a similar experience with a clogged sink. When the plumber finally arrived, he had to dismantle the entire pipe draining the sink, within the basement (luckily, it ran through the utility room, which had and open ceiling). The whole length of this pipe (about 10') was filled with sludge. His opinion was that the _slope_ of the pipe from the sink through this space was too shallow, given that we used a garbage disposal, and it needed to be increased by repositioning the pipe. Increasing the slope seemed to correct the problem.
FurPaw
If it *IS* sludge or just cloggitude, I've found that hot water can aid and abet.
I've also done just a "dump a box of baking soda and a large spaghetti pot of boiling water" down a shower drain that was slow (I made spaghetti, I just held the strainer in the shower and dumped).
It solved the symptom.