Click & Clack for home A/C?

We bought a 1914 house during the beginning of the Texas summer. The AC has done a fantastic job of keeping us cool- until the crack of dawn was about to show its ugly face this morning. We were awakened to a loud sound which was repeating itself every 30 seconds or so. I can only compare it to a combination between the sound of a powerline arcing and turning on a garbage disposal when its on its last leg. We frantically ran around the house trying to figure out of the cats had indeed figured out how to turn on the garbage disposal. To our dismay, we quickly figured out it was the AC. We immediately turned off the AC only to go outside and hear a horrible hiss noise coming from the outside unit.
Anyone have any suggestions as to how I might diagnose the problem? I probably will not choose to handle it myself, but would prefer to not be ripped off by a repair man either.
Thanks!
titania82 wrote:

My guess the hissing sound is an indication the system has a leak and you certainly will not be doing it yourself.
Your part in the process is to find a good repair tech. I know one in my town, but I am not near Texas. I suggest that you start asking around. Neighbors, friends, co-workers and family should all be contacted until you find one.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Joseph Meehan wrote:

bypass refrigerant. When you turned it off it would might make a hissing sound briefly.
There are thieves that steal A/Cs by cutting the refrig-lines, perhaps they chickened out, we don't know!
http://www.udarrell.com/airconditioning_eer_ratings_over_seer_ratings_central_systems.html
titania82 writes:

Could be something simple, or not.
Debris in condenser fan makes a racket. Fan overheats and cycles on and off.
Compressor bearing is gone. Unit overheats and cycles.
also: this will be a chance to explore replacement energy efficient info. if you liked this system do not downsize the next one. plenty of reading free at: http://www.buildingscience.com/resources/mechanical/default.htm
titania82 wrote:

Good idea.
Also look into a dual speed compressor with the larger size at least as big if not bigger than your current system.
I have a 3 ton system 36000 btu, so I am looking at a dual speed 3 1/2 ton system 42,000 btu.
Absolutely a perfect combo as it cools the house quick and then slips into slow speed and removes the moisture from the air.
Great!