Cleaning Shower Drains

Just a reminder .. clean yer drain when you turn the clocks back and change battery in the smoke alarm....

My shower drain seemed a little slow, so I took off the grate (dropped one screw into the drain, of course) to see if it needed cleaning. Using a quality coat hanger, bent with a small hook at the tip, I began the task. When it hit bottom, it felt kind of spongy .. that worried me that the pipe might have rusted away or something. I started pulling stuff out, but still soft at the bottom. When I finished, I was totally grossed out..think I might have something for the Guinness book of records. There was at least 100 years worth of long hair in the drain, but the building has only been here about 40 ...... Ick!

Reply to
Norminn

I use the little drain filters and they work well.

Reply to
michael

I wrote an article on a little device that works a lot like a hanger, but is flexible, so it will go down in the curved area of a toilet to get a toy out. Here is the link.

purpleleaf

Been a long time since any toys or wristwatches went down our drain :o)

Reply to
Norminn

If I waited that long, it would be hopelessly plugged. We seem to have overactive hair follicles or something, the drain picks up enough hair in a month to start slowing down.

Reply to
<josh

I know what you mean, but then along came grandchildren!

Reply to
purpleleaf