Cleaning an "untreated" raw wool rug

I bought a beautiful rug in Ethiopia - however, it was obviously never "treated" and smells like a barn (to be polite). It's been aired for months, and lots of ideas applied to it (baking soda, vacuumed, even dry cleaned). The result is still a pretty strong barn-like smell.

Please, has anyone got any suggestions? I suspect the (natural) dyes have not been fixed but I'm getting to the stage where I'm about to use detergent and be damned (!)

Feel free to email me direct if you prefer. Thanks, Lina

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Lina

You can test a tiny bit pulled off with tweezers and a moistened ball of moistened detergented cotton-wool.

Reply to
Ian Stirling