Cleaning a/c window unit fins

Found that our window unit was caked with moist gunk on the fins. Was scraping it out with an awl. It was worse than it's ever been. It is impractical to remove from the window. Is there any easier way to clean that? I think I was damaging the fins in the process and the stuff didn't always come up out of the fins when I was picking at it. ares
ares wrote:

Try a stiff brush (not a wire brush, but like a scrub brush)
Richard Thoms
Go to an appliance repair store or a heating supply store and buy a fin comb. http://arnoldservice.com/hvac_supplies.htm
Scroll down the page to see one type.
-- Dennis
bad link.
--
Steve Barker

"DT" < snipped-for-privacy@SPAMwowway.com> wrote in message
Carefully comb it with a wire brush. OR get a condenser comb.
--
Steve Barker

"ares" < snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net> wrote in message
Only way I've found to effectively clean a window unit is to take it out, and remove the cover.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.