Cleaning A/C Evaporator Coil on Furnace ??

Checked evaporator coil and it has a little mold on it. (Live in southern Florida.) Do they sell a cleaner that I can spray on. Also, what kind of brush would I use so as not to damage the coils? Or, is this a job for a professional A/C service person?

Reply to
Les

Several...how do you want to do it? What do you want it to do?

You dont....you dont brush evap coils, as a foaming cleaner will not require it.

If you dont know what you are doing.

Reply to
CBHVAC

Thanks for the reply...

I guess I don't know what I am doing, but am somewhat handy and can read and follow instructions......Again, is this a job for a "professional" or is it rather easy like opening up area, and spraying the foaming cleaner on coils?

What kind of cleaners are available? What is the most common kind sold? Can they be purchased in a place like Home Depot or are they available only from an A/C company?

Reply to
Les

Depends. If the coils only got a little mold on it, 1-thats normal to a degree, and

2-it can be removed with a cleaner that can be had at any HVAC supply. I dont know about your area, but in some areas, unless you are licenced, they will not sell it to you, and Florida has one of the more stringent HVAC licence laws next to CA and NC in the country.

There are several. Some are non foaming. Some are non acidic. On an evap, you want a non acidic coil cleaner, and I prefer of all things a two part clean. I use a can of Blast a Coil, or the like first. Its a can of highly foaming, non acid cleaner that will foam like nuts and push all the crap out. Then, I follow that with a cleaner like a NuCalgon or a KMP cleaner like Acti-Klean. Acti-Klean, or the like are the most common.

You can get this can of crap from HD that claims to be a cleaner, but honestly, I have found it excellent for killing ants. The products I mention are only sold at HVAC supply stores, and again, both can be dangerous if you have not used them before. This is why most centers will not sell them to non trained persons.... I do know that only a fool will sell ActiBrite to a non trained person, as it is an acid, and will do some rather nasty things to your coils, much less your skin if used wrong.

Reply to
CBHVAC