Clean your own A/C?

I have a central A/C unit that needs cleaning (not the duct work). Can this be done by a homeowner or is this really a job for a pro A/C service? I'm really tired of calling places that provide sub-standard service and in the end I end up doing things myself.

I have a 3 ton American Standard.

Reply to
TC

Hello TC,

I have a centra A/C also and I have cleaned my own all the time. We live near poplar trees and every year they throw fuzz that collects around the cooling fins. I take my power vacum to it every year. Before I begin I flipp off the breaker that feeds it. I have a 3 ton Carrier unit.. Jimi

Reply to
Jimi

You can do considerable damage if you are not careful & don't know what can happen First, always cut all power off to the unit.

Never use detergents on coils & fins as there are oils etc., that will leave an insulating film on them. We use special coil cleaners, and some of those are powerful & dangerous to use.

Keep the water stream straight with the fins or it might bend them.

My advice: Call a HVAC contractor to service the entire system. - udarrell

udarrell

You should be able to clean it yourself. That and the inside of the air handler too.

Reply to
scott21230

Sure. I remove the top fan assembly and use a pressure washer to blow the mung out of the fins.

Now, my fins don't bend. Be careful.

Reply to
HeyBub

DON"T use a power washer.

Reply to
mm

This is me, I plan on cleaning my own this year too. I figure a good foaming cleaner will get into the tiny fins. Then I'll hose it down. Remembering to always to follow manufactures instructions.

tom @

Just Joshin

Sounds like you already made your own decision. Have at it!

Just remebmer that cleaning is only one of the many things a HVAC guy (should) do during the spring clean and check.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon