Clean your own A/C?

I have a central A/C unit that needs cleaning (not the duct work). Can this be done by a homeowner or is this really a job for a pro A/C service? I'm really tired of calling places that provide sub-standard service and in the end I end up doing things myself.
I have a 3 ton American Standard.

Hello TC,
I have a centra A/C also and I have cleaned my own all the time. We live near poplar trees and every year they throw fuzz that collects around the cooling fins. I take my power vacum to it every year. Before I begin I flipp off the breaker that feeds it. I have a 3 ton Carrier unit.. Jimi
TC wrote:

can happen First, always cut all power off to the unit.
Never use detergents on coils & fins as there are oils etc., that will leave an insulating film on them. We use special coil cleaners, and some of those are powerful & dangerous to use.
Keep the water stream straight with the fins or it might bend them.
My advice: Call a HVAC contractor to service the entire system. - udarrell
http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_btuh_duct_sizing_air_conditioning_systems.html
--
WISDOM PRINCIPLED EMPOWERMENT COMMUNICATIONS -
You should be able to clean it yourself. That and the inside of the air handler too.
TC wrote:

Sure. I remove the top fan assembly and use a pressure washer to blow the mung out of the fins.
Now, my fins don't bend. Be careful.

DON"T use a power washer.

This is me, I plan on cleaning my own this year too. I figure a good foaming cleaner will get into the tiny fins. Then I'll hose it down. Remembering to always to follow manufactures instructions.
tom @ www.YourMoneyMakingIdeas.com
Sounds like you already made your own decision. Have at it!
Just remebmer that cleaning is only one of the many things a HVAC guy (should) do during the spring clean and check.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.