Cigarette smoke detector

Page 3 of 4
On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 20:15:23 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

BTW my mom died of smoking related COPD at 84 so I understand your loss but I also understand it was HER choice, not the government's or YOURS.

the government allowed the tobacco CEOs to lie before congress, about the health risks and when tobacco knew, plus tobacco actively worked to make the products more addictive.
tobacco CEOs who lied should of each been put in prison for at least 5 years,so the next person who gets questioned before congress is truthful.
when a older person dies of smoking, they didnt know when they started it could kill.
kids today who start at least know the risks
On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 05:39:36 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

They called them coffin nails in the 40s, Who didn't know?
illnesses from smoke in smoggy or dirty areas is well documented, as is kids in homes where parents smoke are at triple risk of ear infections. thats been known for a long time.
that proves second hand smoke can cause health troubles.
On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 05:42:44 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Not at all. It all depends on concentration

When indoors, the concentration is great enough to cause health problems. Smokers were permitted to smoke at work, in elevators, etc. until just recently. Now they have shoot up outside.
On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 17:32:25 -0000, AZ Nomad

That science has not really been presented. Just because you can smell something does not mean it is a dangerous concentration.
It would be just as valid if I said my hearing was being damaged by listening to you whine about it. I can hear it so it must be harming me.

Actually it has. One need only look for a correlation between environmental smoke and health effects.
http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/library/secondhandsmoke/factsheets/factsheet6.html
# Children exposed to secondhand smoke are at an increased risk for sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), acute respiratory infections, ear problems, and more severe asthma. Smoking by parents causes respiratory symptoms and slows lung growth in their children.
... # Exposure of adults to secondhand smoke has immediate adverse effects on the cardiovascular system and causes coronary heart disease and lung cancer.
Supporting Evidence
* Concentrations of many cancer-causing and toxic chemicals are higher in secondhand smoke than in the smoke inhaled by smokers. * Breathing secondhand smoke for even a short time can have immediate adverse effects on the cardiovascular system and interferes with the normal functioning of the heart, blood, and vascular systems in ways that increase the risk of a heart attack. * Nonsmokers who are exposed to secondhand smoke at home or at work increase their risk of developing heart disease by 25 - 30 percent. * Nonsmokers who are exposed to secondhand smoke at home or at work increase their risk of developing lung cancer by 20 - 30 percent.

chain smoker is still alive.......
lung cancer is a terrible way to go.
trouble breathing makes victim anxious, which makes it harder to breathe.
as far as the coffin nails comnment, tobacco companies knowing the hazards continued claiming no proof its dangerous, lied thru their teeth.
did you knopw the marlboro man died of lung cancer
On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 18:32:31 -0000, AZ Nomad

The problem with that study is they don't use the same standard as OSHA uses. They do not talk at all about concentrations and threshold limit values. How can you possibly talk about toxins without talking about the dose.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

What an idiotic comments.

I repeat, how can you evaluate toxins without talking about dose?
Or are you one of those people who want the chlorine and flouride banned in tap water?
Tony Hwang wrote:

Well, each mineral that your body requires to function is also toxic. You would die without those minerals. At higher doses, these minerals become toxic and you die due to the level of the toxin. In fact, iron poisoning from vitamins is a frequent occurence in children.
So, how does that square with your statement?
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

well voluntarily sucking in known carceinogens probably isnt a good idea.....
next
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in wrote:

Hey, how bout just letting it go everyone. There is nothing anyone is going to say that will convert anyone else.

No. It is about not having smokers shit all over the air others have to breath. I agree that the talk about secondhand smoke, at least outside, is junk science. However, when dealing with addicts who don't give a damn about anybody but themselves, you need laws to get them to quit being so selfish, obnoxious, and to quit puking all over the air. If you had thirty million addicts who needed to literally fling shit at others in order to satisfy their addiction, the would be specific laws being written against that as well.
I'm sorry. I just don't have any sympathy to people who engage in such an obnoxious selfish habbit. If I didn't have to breath the stench, I wouldn't care. I don't care if they smoke themselves into a coma. Just don't exhale where I have to breath the shit.
just keep raising taxes on tobacco till the industry dies, just like its killed so many of its customers.........
name me one other product thasa still sold knowing its hazards

Marriage license.
On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 13:25:34 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Vagina. -- Oren
smokers might as well realize they are on their way out, if the tobacco doesnt kill them the rules regulations and costs will.
tobacco a industry that must die