Chimney cleaning. How often for gas furnace only flue?

How often should one clean a chimney flue that is only used for a gas furnace? The chimney people will say annually. But this seems a bit often.
Thanks, Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

You don't have to clean it annually, but you DO have to inspect it annually, and since you're up their with your tools anyway, you might as well clean the damn thing.
Your chimney won't need cleaning just burning gas. Check it every so often for cracks or leaks, more often in earthquake country. Take a look up a wood-burning chimney with a flashlight to check the creosote buildup; never got ashes in my face--honest!

Don't buy *any* products or services from any chimney sweep that says that a *gas* flue needs to be cleaned yearly.
Bob
How about...Never?
The flue might get a rust or corrosion hole in it and need replacement, but if it has anything to clean, you need a new furnace.
Chimney people make a living cleaning chimneys, and they make more per hour when there is nothing to clean. I have a wood stove, I clean the chimney annually, and get a teacupful of fluffy stuff out. Not every chimney gets dirty but some do, except for gas chimneys, which pretty much can't.

My guess for gas only? Inspected for blockages? Yes, at least once each Fall. Cleaned? Never.