I closed on a house last Friday. It's a 1948 brick colonial (with two
additions, and e.g. the wiring a plumbing has been upgraded).
One thing the home inspector pointed out was that the chimney needed a rain
hat. I think he meant one of those steel things that's mounted on top of
the chimney to keep precip out.
The chimney doesn't service a fireplace. (Maybe there was one at one time;
if so, it's been ripped out.) It _does_
service the gas furnace, however.
Right now it looks like there's some kind of wire screen on top of the
(1) Who installs chimney caps? I'm not so keen on doing it myself.
(2) Do I need to get the chimney itself inspected? (If so, by whom?) On
the one hand, it sounds like natural gas exhaust is much less apt to clog up
a chimney or damage it than burning wood exhaust. On the other hand, I
don't want to rely on my carbon monoxide detector to prevent my brain from