Cheap phone cord (related to cheap extension cords)

Cheap phone cord (related to cheap extension cords)

Speaking of cheap cord, a few years ago I needed about 40 feet of modular phone cord, and I was at a hamfest where they had 100 foot roll of cord for less that Radio Shack sells 50. Plus it was right there in front of me, and I wouldn't have to look any further.

So I bought it and it worked fine for a few years. I used the whole

100 feet without cutting because I thought someday I might need a 100 foot piece. But eventually it stopped, probably being I was stepping on it a lot, and tugging on it, and once I burned it (although that didn't keep it from working even though it had been cream colored and now was distorted and black for 2 inches and around most of its circumference).

And it was one of the days I was stepping on it and tugging it that it stopped working. So I looked at the end through the clear modular plug and it looked ok, so I cut off about 6 feet and crimped on another modular plug, with the proper tool. But it didn't help. Maybe it was not in those 6 feet that it broke.

I would have checked the cord, but it's hard to get a meter probe into those little slots, and I was too lazy to get a pin from my sewing kit and a wire with alligator clips from the basement. Eventuall I found a modular wall box that took regular wire and one end and had two modular jacks and used that, and found I had only made a connection with two of the 4 wires, out of 1,2,3,4, I only got 1 and 2.

That's why it didn't work. The crimper was a cheap plastic imitation of what the pros use, but it always worked before.

Then I noticed how cheap the wire was. For one thing, if you hold up

2 to 4 inches of it with an end on the end, it flops over. The wire I usually use takes twice as long a piece to flop over.

Maybe you can recognize this stuff if you see it because it doesn't have black, red, green, and yellow wires. It has white, green, white, and white wires.

I didn't know it was possible to have wire this cheap!

Reply to
mm

Hi, In my house corded phone is long gone. All cordless phones. Wireless router for Internet, and Bluetooth here and there.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

This was the cord from the NID to the inside of the house. Original one isn't working.

But I like phones with cords. I know my neighbors aren't listening.

Reply to
mm

me too, years ago a friend had me pick up a cordless for her, so i plugged it in to the power line to charge it.

listened to a neighbors teenager make a drug deal on her cordless...

said to neighbor tell your daughter listened to her make drug deal with jason, suggest corded phone for such transactions.......

he spent the next hour ranting about daughter...

Reply to
hallerb

You have far too much time on your hands. :-)

I went wireless long ago. Yea, someone might be listening in to my calls, they to must have far too much time on their hands and I am sure my calls are less interesting than the shopping channel. Besides if they really want to listen in I believe with the right equipment it would not be that difficult to listen in to your typical wired phone.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

And cordless phones may not work when the electricity is off. I do have mine on a UPS (same as computer UPS), but that just works for a few minutes, time to move to a corded phone.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

How the wire bends doesn't mean it's cheap. It could mean it's stranded. It could mean it's a smaller wire size. Obviously, the wire you got was different. Not necessarily cheap.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

This reminds me of a news story I saw. One house had a cordless phone, but the other only had a baby monitor. The ones with the baby monitor heard the wife next door planning with her boyfriend to murder her husband. They got the police to stop her before she did it!

-------->

You have a good point, but I've never see wire so floppy before, nor so cheap. Mostly I was trying to warn people before they bought it. I hope no innocent wire will suffer.

Reply to
mm

mm posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

Also nicer when the power goes out so one can call the electric co.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Definitely.

I forgot to say that cordless phones are good for talking during a lightning storm, or when one is in the bathtub.

Didn't someone in this thread, or another, say they had a bad experience with a corded phone during a storm? I don't know that the risk of a corded phone is that great, but with a cordless it is zero in the bathtub, and I think it is zero during a storm.

Reply to
mm

Oh pshaw, on Thu 03 Aug 2006 08:52:32p, Tony Hwang meant to say...

Then when you have a power outage but not a phone service outage, the phones still won't work. It's not a bad idea to have at least 1 corded phone if you consider having a phone critical at all times.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Cordless telephony is JOB SECURITY for me and my coworkers. So much so, in fact, that the repair service attendants ASK if the caller is using one.

Everyone should have at least one CORDED phone to use in the event of a electrical outage as they are "line powered" - powered from the telco equipment. Also, they provide a convenient means to test at the NID (Network Interface Device), if present.

You might be surprised at how difficult TAPPING a phone line is. Unless done at the side of the house or, at most, the terminal serving that premise, the tapper would have to have significant technical expertise AND the company line records revealing the cable assignments: Finding a single pair in a 900-pair, ready-access splice isn't easy. Finding the exact binding post/position in a SAC (cross-connect) box that has 2700 positions, without proper assignments, would be nearly impossible.

A LEGAL tap is totally different. While it used to be placed close to the target, it isn't any more. Technology has enabled a LEGAL tapper to stay at his/her desk back at headquarters.

Interesting fact: The U.S. Supreme Court has held that cordless telephony is NOT private, but cellular telephony IS. Go figure.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

Or a cell phone. Frankly my home phone service is now via cable. I don't even have the capability for line power.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

True. Also corded phones are a lot simpler (and so less likely to fail). If your cordless isn't working, you can use the corded phone to help locate the trouble.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Yep, the reason it's twice the price at the shack, is if you go back there with the faulty product, they are responsible.

False economy on things your life might depend one day, are often more dangerous than they seem...

Cordless phones are just the same kind of convenience. What happens when your battery is flat, or the power's out??? Then again, what about the RF energy that's warming your head?

Cords all the way - start the revolution!!!

Reply to
glenn P

Less if you use a headset.

Some people like to (or at least be ABLE TO) walk around while talking.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Tell congressman Jim McDermott that.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I've read one study that contradicted that.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Yeah, and Mr. Newt, too.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

Just junk it and run by a "Dollar Store" or a Family Dollar or such other such store that sells cheap Chinese junk.

I still go to Rat Shack for solid conductor stuff for inside the walls but for modular "patches" (including splitters, butt connectors, etc) you basic $dollar store outlet will fix your up.

Those cords aren't worth the cost of the modular connector end to fix.

Reply to
John Gilmer