Cheap import tools and product liability (was: Violent Electric Drill Accident)

Page 1 of 2
The recent thread "Violent Electric Drill Accident" got me wondering about places like Harbor Freight Tools and their product liability. The local store sells an amazing array of dangerous tools. We all know how shoddy and defective some of them are, and notwithstanding the "electric drill accident", surely there are many cases where a faulty tool hurts somebody. What I cannot understand is how they can run a store and sell, oh, angle grinders for $14.99, since they must be getting sued all the time. So much of their stuff is obviously dangerous, and I don't mean in the usual power- tool-requires-common-sense way, such as the toys they sell for children (100 lb go-kart with no effective brakes!) that you can't buy anywhere else because no American firm could survive the lawsuits. Does the Chinese mafia come to visit if you have a "problem"? Does anyone know how HF is organized and defends itself?
Richard J Kinch wrote:

Those are down to less than $10 this week! Time to stock up on stocking stuffers!
Jeff (Who confesses to being a loyal HF customer for his "hobby grade" equipment.)
--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"I before E except after C"....(The height of insufficient weird ancient
Exactly why do you think these things are so dangerous??
Is it based on personal experience, or just the assumption that since it is a shoddy piece of shit it will also hurt you? Exactly what, for instance, is the angle grinder going to do to you? The wheel will fall apart due to wheel defects, maybe, but what does that have to do with the grinder? If you put a decent wheel on it, it's going to be fine. Maybe the gears with disintegrate, but then you will be even safer since it won't be turning.
| Ian Stirling.

------
means
Carrol

Cripes, if anyone had gotten electrocuted, the plaintiff's lawyer would have had a field day. No UL approval, I guess.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Double insulated tools don't need a third wire, even on 240V. The only possible problem (if it was double insulated) would be if there is a code problem with connecting a 3 pin plug to a 2 wire cord.
--
http://inquisitor.i.am/ | mailto: snipped-for-privacy@i.am | Ian Stirling.
On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 16:23:04 +0000 (UTC), the renowned Ian Stirling

True. If the tool was actually double-insulated to meet UL requirements. If it wasn't approved, we don't know. They might have used any number of substandard materials. Or maybe it's fine, just they have not spent the $5K to get the approvals. I've seen both situations.

*Surely* it's not permitted (by UL or CSA) to manufacture approved tools with FAKE 3-wire cords.
I'd look at it and assume the exposed metal bits were supposed to be grounded/earthed, safer than double-insulated in some situations.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

As have I, and on 240V, it's a lot more fun.

You might, but is it actually prohibited?
--
http://inquisitor.i.am/ | mailto: snipped-for-privacy@i.am | Ian Stirling.

AFAIK there isn't. It just helps enforce getting the hot and neutral plugged in correctly. Sometimes the different size blades don't get the job done because some ham handed person forces them in wrong. But with the ground prong too, they'd have to cut it off to get the plug in wrong, and that sort of tampering voids any claim they might have.
Gary

Three-prong plugs are far less likely to "fall out" or get bent if stressed. The flat shape of the North American 15A live/neutral prongs is a big mistake, I notice that most overseas plugs use no flat prongs at all, an obvious improvement over the US design. In any event, the poor design of the US 2-prong plug is supplemented by a nice sturdy circular ground prong in the 3-prong version.
I do not like seeing any part of a live prong exposed under any circumstances, but with US two-prong plugs a slight sideways pull will leave some of the prong clearly visible. This doesn't happen nearly so readily with a three-prong plug, and I believe that's a safety advantage even if the ground isn't used.
Tim.
On 19 Jul 2003 20:00:40 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@trailing-edge.com (Tim Shoppa) wrote:

America Basher :^)!! I would agree, but then again the US doesn't use 240VAC for your kids to play with :^). So the best thing, IMO, would be a better designed plug using only 120VAC. I can't tell you how many times I've shocked myself with 120, hurts a little but no damage. I imagine 240 has a bit more of a kick.
John
Please note that my return address is wrong due to the amount of junk email I get. So please respond to this message through the newsgroup.
snipped-for-privacy@asdfasdfsdffff.com (John Flanagan) wrote in message

That connector has existed for many decades now: the 120VAC 15A Twist-Lock. In fact, a lot of the equipment I own has either 15A or 30A Twist-Lock plugs.
Now if the plug didn't cost more than most appliances, THEN we'd have a winner!
Tim.

Is this a regional in store sale? I have seen many references to the $14.99 angle grinders and out of curiousity I visited our new local Harbor Freight. The least expensive angle grinder was a 4.5 " unit for $39.95. They didn't seem to know anything about $14.95 units. Where do you find them?

Nearly any "house brand" item from Harbor Freight will occasionally be put on sale for 1/2 price. Currently I don't see any on sale but there are two on sale for Inside Track Club members. Item # 43471 is currently $15.97, usually $29.99 and item # 42203 is $12.97, normally $27.99.
But the best deal I've found is from Homier Mobile Merchants, http://www.homier.com . They have a traveling truckload tool sale that comes through the area a couple of times a year and the last two times they were here they had them for $5.99! I bought two about a year ago and I'm still on the first one. Of course the 2nd one may fall apart as soon as I take it out of the box but for that price I won't complain too much. :-)
On their Web site there is a link to sign up for notification of when they will be in your area. Since the Harbor Freight store opened here in Charlotte they haven't actually come to Charlotte but they've been to nearly every city around me, usually within 20-30 miles or so. A month ago they were in the area and had autodark welding helmets for $39.99!
"The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper." -Eden Phillpotts, A Shadow Passes, 1934

$14.99
Freight.

I don't want to make this a bash Chinese post because they merely exhibit the problems of an emerging economy as did Japan, Taiwan, India, etc. And I have scored some tremendous quality bargains in electronics and hard tools. Along the way I learned how easy it is to get fooled. Best to look for a product with a big name brand as they might be checking the quality more. I have seen radio knobs secured with paper, tools with no heat treating, lead paint, razor sharp edges, color that comes off on hands or anything else, and the very amusing directions that are often included. I consider it a challenge to inspect the products and determine the value. The Chinese watch that I am wearing cost fifty cents while a new battery for my old one cost $3. I don't expect to get hurt by it because if I do catch it in the $15 hammer drill it will rip apart before I do.

How good were the dissidents at assembling power tools?
If they were really good, I'd be upset. But if they were doing crappy work, then I couldn't much care.
Gary

Tricky choice when the alternative is to deal with people who ignore the Geneva Conventions on the treatment of POWs
Mark Rand RTFM
Actually, I've returned more broken tools to Sears than I have to HF.....

much
power-
else
Richard, it feels odd being on the other side of a safety issue doesn't it. ;-)
jim ___ Have a home upkeep question? Try my help page. It's sort of an alt.home.repair FAQ. http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair
On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 09:08:48 -0500, Richard J Kinch

<snip lame attempt to smear Harbor Freight>

Has anyone sucessfully sued an out-of-business American tool company?
If I chop my hand off with my non-OSHA (no belt guard) 1954 King-Seeley table saw, who can I blame?
Do some research into why the US light aircraft industry collapsed overnight. The Chinese had nothing to do with it- it was all American lawyers.
-Carl
"The man who has nothing worth dying for has nothing worth living for"- Martin Luther King, Jr.
That's BS, Carl. I could undercut anybody in price if I sell garbage put together by slave labor.
--
Larry Bailey
Illegitimi non carborundum