Cheap breathing apparatus

Page 2 of 2

<SNIP>
(Army) surplus store? Those things still exist? (Well, I guess we do keep having half-trillion-dollar wars! Disposed stuff's gotta go somewhere...)
When I was a kid, in the 50's, man, did we have army surplus stores!
Blankets, canteens, (back) packs, web-belts, metal-boxes (hinged lid, handle, etc) for machine-gun ammo.
Bins and bins and bins of stuff.
(I guess that earlier on you could have gotten, on the very, very cheap, DC-3's, B-29's, P-45's -- you name it!)
David