Chainsaw question, file under clueless

Page 2 of 2

On Aug 27, 8:57am, "Steve Barker DLT"

Something like 15 years ago, I had a bunch of Samoan landscapers remove several yuccas from my front yard. They were part of the landscaping crew at Charlie Keating's Phoenician Resort doing a little moonlighting in the suburbs.
Scared the cr@p out of me watching them. They wrapped one end of some steel cable around the yucca, wrapped the other end around the hitch on the back of their truck, and put 'er in gear. I had visions of that cable snapping and taking out the picture window directly behind the plant. Guess they knew what they were doing though, they came right out with only some minor ruts in the grass.
Jerry
That is...... IF your car will start.

Heh ... too bad chainsaws and lawnmowers aren't more like cars, I never have trouble with cars. You turn the key. Vroom it starts.
nancy
Get an electric car.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Nancy Young wrote:

For occasional use, you can go the cheap route at Harbor Fright for around $35.
Jerry
I got a recip "Sawzall" years ago. Used it, with a bunch of cheap junk blades, to take out a stump. Yer right, a "Sawzall" is a good idea. Harbor Freight has em on sale as low as $20 now and again.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

An electric saw would work just fine. I have a good one that cost about $100 and gets used once or twice a year. But how about a hand-powered tree limb saw? Not the kind you'd use on a woodworking bench, but one designed for tree limbs. They're even cheaper. The kind I'm familiar with have a curved blade.
Nancy Young wrote:

You should disconnect the fuel line, drain the tank, empty the carburetor and start it and run the rest of the gas out of it. On the other hand it's not difficult to start it up once a month to keep it running.
An electric will work just fine. Just watch what you buy. Electrics seem to have crappy oilers. Find one with a good oiler or you'll be attached to an oil can every time you use it. Either that or wear out your bar and chain quickly.
--
Claude Hopper ? 3 :) 7/8

Dear Nancy, Great last name! You make a body proud. As to the saw, well, a whole bunch of reasons why it won't start. Old gas, and dirty air filter are two big ones. Black spark plug is another. If you got the cords to get to the trees, electric saw is a great idea. My Dad has one, and he really loves it. While running, remember to push the chain oiler every five to ten seconds (or whatever the book says).
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Bad gas. Once it sits for a while, it's useless. Drain all gas. Fill with fresh gas. Pull the cord until your forearms look like Popeye.
Steve