Chainsaw Chains

I have two chainsaws, a Stihl and a Craftsman. The Stihl has a hole in each drive link while the Craftsman doesn't. Since the Craftsman doesn't need h oles but the Stihl does, am I right in assuming that the Stihl chains can b e used on the Craftsman but not conversely?
Paul
On Thursday, March 20, 2014 10:57:30 AM UTC-4, Pavel314 wrote:

holes but the Stihl does, am I right in assuming that the Stihl chains can be used on the Craftsman but not conversely?

You need to check the spacing on the driven edge of the chains. The chain has to fit the sprockets on the clutch and the tip.
jamesgang wrote:

Not only must the chain pitch <spacing> be the same , but the thickness of the drive link might be different . My Stihl uses a .325 x .063" drive link , the Poohlan and Homelite both use a .375 <3/8"> x .050" .
--
Snag