Central Vacumn Unit Installation

Page 1 of 2
I am looking for some advice regarding installation of a Central Vacumn Unit.
Thanks, Andy

Don't. Put your money in a good vacuum. The hoses are a pain to drag around and don't work any better, probably worse, than a good vacuum and cost lots of $$$. Also heaven help you if a pipe got a leak or a wire inside a wall came loose. How dragging around that big fricken hose is better than a vacuum is beyond me. If you want it because of dust, the new vacuums have hepa filters, and our Dysan doesn't spew any dust at all. My wife has asthma and she says it doesn't bother her at all. Since we liked our Dysan better, I removed it. It also freed up a lot of space in my garage.
TH wrote:

If you are dragging a big hose around maybe you need more outlets. A 10 foot plastic hose doesn't sound like much work to me.
--
Claude Hopper ? 3 :) 7/8

The hoses are actually 25 or 30 ft but are light and slide easily on every surface

I have had one in each of my last two homes. that was a total of about 20 years. My next home will also have one. I find them more convenient, easier to use and more efficient than the alternatives.
I will agree with some situations they may not be as convenient, but I have lived with uprights, canisters and central. I am sticking with central.
Clearly there are differences of opinion. I may reflect different needs or it may reflect poor instillation of the central system.

I second this.

I disagree; they're great. And a hose is a lot easier to drag around furniture and corners than a vacuum unit! The suction is greater, the bags bigger so require less changing, it has beater bars & all the equipment of any modern vacuum, there's only the hose to store, which you can get in different lengths by the way, and in general is a delight to have. Haven't had a single problem in over 9 years since it was installed and is used almost daily.
The installation downsides are the expense of the vacuum runs but they're only plastic pipe; I did my own and saved a bundle. Be sure the hose outlets go where you won't want to put furniture in front/over them. If you can't do that, then have two outlets in that particular room. Two in any large room, just for convenience. Use quality receptacles so they won't wear out. Personally I like wall mounted receptaclse because they're easier to reach than on the floor but not every room allows that. If you locate receptacles near doorways, you can often cover two rooms with just one receptacle unless they're large rooms. The downside of them is receptacle locations: If you don't think thouse out beforehand, you might not use it as often as you think you will. They need to be as convenient as possible and provide as little changing as possible when the whole house needs to be vacuumed. We bought one long 30' hose and a short 12' hose for ours; they hand in the pantry. The vacuum itself is in the basement and easily accessible to change bags, etc.. We love it.
Ymmv of course, as evidenbed by other posts here.
HTH
Twayne

dont bother.
its far easier to push a vacuumn than drag the hose assembly around your home.
its a sounds great product till you live with it awhile.
this is what almost everyone who has one says.......

I would not say everyone. I have just the opposite view. See prior response on this matter.

your home..its a sounds great product till you live with it awhile. this is what almost everyone who has one says.......<
Uh, NO. Everyone I know that has one (5), well the WIVES say they re great they would never go back to the corded type. Mine is on her 3rd one (3rd new house)

Agree.
I have one a few years now. Since it was installed without major renovation, I have a 40 foot hose. Still easier to manage than a haul around. Has more suction, quiet, empty the unit a lot less often, what's not to like?

3rd husband too :-)

Ackshully, she keeps me around cause I do such a great job installing Central vacs (and toilets, and cabinets, and sinks, and wiring, and drywall and irrigation systems etc) ;-)

Whatever works bud.
It takes decades for guys to learn such a simple thing generation after generation. If ya wanna be happy in the long run, make her happy...even when it makes you unhappy.
"Red Green" >

I go far but not as far as making myself 'unhappy'
Raleigh_3_Speed wrote:

robot vac. grrrreeeeeate!
http://www.irobot.com /

What exactly are you looking for ? I suppose you have GOOGLED 'Central Vacuum Installation'

I put one in during my renovation and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. For advice on selecting, most of the web sites that sell also have charts or tables on selecting a unit. In the time since I did mine, they came out with a self storing hose that slides back into the in wall tubing. I'd do it again. Mark

Strangely, SEARS in Canada sells about 6+ different performance/accessory/motor levels of Central Vacs. In the USA, they don't sell ANY..Hmmm, odd. We've had Two from Sears: first one Branded Craftsman (c. 1988) and the newest one (2004) reads Kenmore. I'd do it again. They re available to view on the CANADIAN SEARS web pages: http://www.sears.ca/gp/product/B000TVBGDU/sr=1-4/qid 14165115/ref=sr_1_4/105-2200301-8808461?ie=UTF8&searsBrand=core&mqnodeid=APS
but not even a mention on the US site.

Thanks to everyone that responded.
Someone asked if I could install one in his 3-story condo.
After some research and seeing what was involved, I declined the project.
Installing the piping in the walls sound like way too much fun for me. :-)