Central Vac overload

Page 4 of 4

Most appliance motors do have a thermal cutout designed into them. Many people repairing their own stuff will just cut it out of the circuit once it goes.
Get the Vac unit into a repair place and get the thermal cutout replaced.

Which of course then begs the question, so what's the problem? I agree that with many pumps the speed increases when the line is plugged, because the impeller is cavitating and just spinning freely. That means the power and current go DOWN. So, why the need for a system to prevent the motor from overheating?
The only logical conclusion would be that the motor depends on the air moving through the vacuum for cooling. Even given that, I can't see how the vacuum could stay plugged up and running long enough for that to happen frequently. Surely after a minute or two of vacuuming you'd notice the head is no longer picking up dirt, that the head moves freely over carpet instead of being sucked down, etc.
It would seem to me that if this were a problem that occured frequently enough to matter, all systems would have some built-in protection besides the thermal cuttoff and the thermal cuttoff is OK for something that happens once in a blue moon.
Regarding a blue moon, I ask again, how often does this occur? I've had a central vac system for 17 years and it hasn't clogged once. If it's happening frequently, sounds like whatever is causing it is the real problem that needs addressing.