CENTRAL HEAT PILOT OFF

I just pre-tested my heater for this winter.

Lots of cold air blowing through.

Can I light my own pilot? Or, do I call the gas company?

Reply to
MRS. CLEAN

I have for years, though usually uncomfortable as it requires holding down the knob for a minute, it isn't rocket science. My advice is to get one of those trigger operated lighters with the long nose, as the pilot is usually just slightly out of reach. I did it for years with matches and locking tweezers (hemostats). Other than that the vague directions are on the knob, usually a 3 position affair, on, off and pilot with instructions to hold the knob down after lighting (to warm the thermocouple). hint: it often takes longer than specified. Once the pilot will stay lit without holding the button down it is safe to turn the knob to on. If you screw up and turn it to off, simply start at the beginning and do it all again.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

Very good advice.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Thanks.

Reply to
MRS. CLEAN

I also recommend the type of lighter mentioned above. Specifically they look like this:

scott21230