Central A/C - Coil Freeze-Up Normal?

Page 2 of 2

Hi Dick, hope you are having a nice day
On 27-Mar-05 At About 19:08:28, Dick wrote to All Subject: Re: Central A/C - Coil Freeze-Up Normal?
D> From: Dick <LeadWinger>
D> If the return air to the evaporator coil is above 68F, The evaporator D> should not freeze unless the filter is very dirty, the ducting D> is undersized, or the unit is low on freon. There could be other D> problems with the unit, but these are the most probable.
D> If you set the thermostat below 68F, and the return air gets that D> low, then the evaporator could freeze because the coil is at 32F or D> lower.
D> It doesn't matter what temperature the thermostat is set at so long D> as the return air does not get below 68F.
D> Does that sound about right?
No, you should never set the thermostat below 68 degrees or it will eventually get there and freeze. not only will it freeze but it is very hard on the compressor.
-=> HvacTech2 <=-
... "I have the oldest typewriter in the world. It types in pencil."- s.w.
Hi Dick, hope you are having a nice day
On 28-Mar-05 At About 03:33:23, Dick wrote to All Subject: Re: Central A/C - Coil Freeze-Up Normal?
D> From: Dick <LeadWinger>
D> wrote:
EP>> No. The AC has a given capacity to remove heat. Setting the EP>> thermostat low does not make any difference if the unit is operating EP>> properly. D> > > Actually Ed setting it below 68 degrees or so it will definitely D> freeze the > coil if the humidity is up any. > > >> -=> HvacTech2 <=-
D> Actually, in this case the humidity was probably down to around D> 10%RH. This is Phoenix, not Florida.
It does take humidity to freeze but not to ruin the compressor. when you run the temp too low on an evap with a fixed metering device it will send liquid back to the compressor which is very hard on it and will cause early failure.
-=> HvacTech2 <=-
... "I lost a button hole today. Where am I gonna find another one?"- s.w.
"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message

This is Turtle.
At a 38F return air temp. . The evaperator coil should not be below 38F and not freezing if it is properly filled with freon and clean filter and not too many register grill closed .
Ok Let me look into my Crystal ball on the problem is. Hummmmmmm , OK it's low of freon. Find the leak and fix it and then refill it.
TURTLE
Gee Hvac Tech 2 I have a house with spacepack the thermostat is set to 65 in summer and it never freezes, original 16 yr old unit, . It wont even get the house below 70f and runs 24x7 at 100f outside. So the statement of never setting below 68 does not always apply. It is truely the equipment set up and overall design. Sure to low a return temp will freeze. But many issues could cause it, improper ducting, closed vents, low freon, clogged air filter , clogged, moldy - dirty evaporator coil. He just needs a pro to find out why, we can`t guess.
I typed a reply, and then notice you said "condensor" coil. Hmm. You are aware that the condensor is the outdoor unit?
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Whew. Easier to repair, then.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Freezing AC are typically a result of low air flow, or low on freon. There is a patch cure called a freeze stat which may be of some use.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Ugh! I can just imagine the bill!
Spacepack , My humidity is at 43-48% and temps 70-72. When it reached 115f 90%rh in 1991 it kept 73-74. The 4 ton 12 seer lennox actualy pulled out 225 gpd when new in that heat wave. Over several days I measured it just doing a simple timing of a 5 gallon bucket filling. One 4 ton is doing 6000 sq, but it can run 24x7 when hot out. The upside is low humidity the downside 1 more ton would give faster temp drop when hot out.
Im lucky to get 15gpd of water out with a regular forced air unit at another house, im just oversized . Nothing better than a properly sized, instaled, unit

If 100F was the design temp of the system, it WONT cut off once the outdoor temp hits that. Of course, it also depends on the design delta...we can design a system that COULD lower the temps to a nice 40F at 100F outside IF someone REALLY wanted that.... We would not install it...but it could be done..

Where in hell you at man? We can do a SpacPaK (correct spelling) for way less than that in some pretty large homes..... I like the fact that you can install them, hide them, and the ducts, and the HV units remove 35% or more moisture than a conventional system. Working on a page about them on the website.
message

Cool... a google search of SpacPaK yields 7 results. Quite rare! Get that site up and running, would ya? <G>

Tell ya...right now, the factory site has some good information on it.
http://www.spacepak.com /
They are touchy in the sense that they MUST be sized right, and all the duct needs to be their brand and sized correctly. But man...older homes, places that other contractors say no way.....they fit the bill everytime.
message

Very cool, thanks!
Hi snipped-for-privacy@carolinabreezehvac.com, hope you are having a nice day
On 07-Apr-05 At About 09:42:24, snipped-for-privacy@carolinabreezehvac.com wrote to All Subject: Re: Central A/C - Coil Freeze-Up Normal?
S> From: " snipped-for-privacy@carolinabreezehvac.com"
S> > Gee Hvac >> Tech 2 I have a house with spacepack the thermostat is set > to 65 >> in summer and it never freezes, original 16 yr old unit, . It >> wont > even get the house below 70f and runs 24x7 at 100f outside.
>> Ugh! I can just imagine the bill!
S> If 100F was the design temp of the system, it WONT cut off once the S> outdoor temp hits that. Of course, it also depends on the design S> delta...we can design a system that COULD lower the temps to a nice S> 40F at 100F outside IF someone REALLY wanted that.... We would not S> install it...but it could be done..
I don't even see ransley's posts any more ( killfiled him ) but as steve said, it can be done at any temp. it all depends on how you design them. at 100 degrees outdoor temp I can get it down to 70 degrees easily in my house.
-=> HvacTech2 <=-
... Biochemists wear designer genes.