Central A/C - Coil Freeze-Up Normal?

Hi Dick, hope you are having a nice day

On 28-Mar-05 At About 03:33:23, Dick wrote to All Subject: Re: Central A/C - Coil Freeze-Up Normal?

D> From: Dick

D> EP>> No. The AC has a given capacity to remove heat. Setting the EP>> thermostat low does not make any difference if the unit is operating EP>> properly. D> > > Actually Ed setting it below 68 degrees or so it will definitely D> freeze the > coil if the humidity is up any. > >

It does take humidity to freeze but not to ruin the compressor. when you run the temp too low on an evap with a fixed metering device it will send liquid back to the compressor which is very hard on it and will cause early failure.

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2

This is Turtle.

At a 38ºF return air temp. . The evaperator coil should not be below 38ºF and not freezing if it is properly filled with freon and clean filter and not too many register grill closed .

Ok Let me look into my Crystal ball on the problem is. Hummmmmmm , OK it's low of freon. Find the leak and fix it and then refill it.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Gee Hvac Tech 2 I have a house with spacepack the thermostat is set to 65 in summer and it never freezes, original 16 yr old unit, . It wont even get the house below 70f and runs 24x7 at 100f outside. So the statement of never setting below 68 does not always apply. It is truely the equipment set up and overall design. Sure to low a return temp will freeze. But many issues could cause it, improper ducting, closed vents, low freon, clogged air filter , clogged, moldy - dirty evaporator coil. He just needs a pro to find out why, we can`t guess.

Reply to
m Ransley

If the outdoor coil is frozen, it sounds like a major restriction of some kind right after the compressor. With that, the indoor coil would be seriously warmed up.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Freezing AC are typically a result of low air flow, or low on freon. There is a patch cure called a freeze stat which may be of some use.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I typed a reply, and then notice you said "condensor" coil. Hmm. You are aware that the condensor is the outdoor unit?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I was in error. It was the evaporator coil (inside.)

Dick

Reply to
Dick

Whew. Easier to repair, then.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Shut up hack.

Reply to
steve

Actualy the bill is less than running 4 window units and it cools 3 times the area. Space Pack sized right is nice, Installers that were not well known wanted to double size it, in truth the installer with th reputation and his load calc was the winner. Id hate to do it today it would cost 30-50000

Reply to
m Ransley

Ugh! I can just imagine the bill!

Reply to
Olaf

Spacepack , My humidity is at 43-48% and temps 70-72. When it reached

115f 90%rh in 1991 it kept 73-74. The 4 ton 12 seer lennox actualy pulled out 225 gpd when new in that heat wave. Over several days I measured it just doing a simple timing of a 5 gallon bucket filling. One 4 ton is doing 6000 sq, but it can run 24x7 when hot out. The upside is low humidity the downside 1 more ton would give faster temp drop when hot out.

Im lucky to get 15gpd of water out with a regular forced air unit at another house, im just oversized . Nothing better than a properly sized, instaled, unit

Reply to
m Ransley

If 100F was the design temp of the system, it WONT cut off once the outdoor temp hits that. Of course, it also depends on the design delta...we can design a system that COULD lower the temps to a nice 40F at 100F outside IF someone REALLY wanted that.... We would not install it...but it could be done..

Reply to
webmaster

Where in hell you at man? We can do a SpacPaK (correct spelling) for way less than that in some pretty large homes..... I like the fact that you can install them, hide them, and the ducts, and the HV units remove 35% or more moisture than a conventional system. Working on a page about them on the website.

Reply to
webmaster

Cool... a google search of SpacPaK yields 7 results. Quite rare! Get that site up and running, would ya?

Reply to
Olaf

Tell ya...right now, the factory site has some good information on it.

They are touchy in the sense that they MUST be sized right, and all the duct needs to be their brand and sized correctly. But man...older homes, places that other contractors say no way.....they fit the bill everytime.

Reply to
webmaster

Very cool, thanks!

Reply to
Olaf

Hi snipped-for-privacy@carolinabreezehvac.com, hope you are having a nice day

On 07-Apr-05 At About 09:42:24, snipped-for-privacy@carolinabreezehvac.com wrote to All Subject: Re: Central A/C - Coil Freeze-Up Normal?

S> From: " snipped-for-privacy@carolinabreezehvac.com" S>

S> If 100F was the design temp of the system, it WONT cut off once the S> outdoor temp hits that. Of course, it also depends on the design S> delta...we can design a system that COULD lower the temps to a nice S> 40F at 100F outside IF someone REALLY wanted that.... We would not S> install it...but it could be done..

I don't even see ransley's posts any more ( killfiled him ) but as steve said, it can be done at any temp. it all depends on how you design them. at 100 degrees outdoor temp I can get it down to 70 degrees easily in my house.

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2