Cement/Concrete patching...who to call ?

my parents had a water leak a while back, and I don't know who made the hole in the driveway

who do I call to repair this [square] hole, which is actually an part of the driveway?

could a handyman do this, or do I need some sort of professional?

thanks marc

Reply to
21blackswan

What is with the disrespect to the flag?

JAS

Reply to
JAS

sloppy over-site on our part [it started out right side up]

will fix it

marc

Reply to
21blackswan

City Water? Your property? City fixed it, call the city and tell them they didn't fix it.

Reply to
dadiOH

A handyman could do it.

Reply to
TomR

our property; the leak was ours, just in front of the meter

marc

Reply to
21blackswan

A handyman can do it. When I lived in Philadelphia, there were many miles of sidewalk and there were guy that specialized in repairing them. Check your local paper for "concrete work" and you may find one that does small jobs like that at reasonable prices.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Its a easy DIY project, just buy some bags of sakrete, and get it done

Reply to
bob haller

thanks all,

they aren't going to just pour cement in, to the top, are they? [it now looks more complicated than that, since this square was part of the driveway]

I guess I'll just get someone out to look, and see what they say...

marc

Reply to
21blackswan

The person to call is the one who fixed the leak. Fixing what he had to destruct is part of the job. And yes, pouring in concrete is the fix.

Reply to
dadiOH

A wider angle photo would probably help so everyone could see what the whole job is. Something that shows the driveway and the brick etc from a wider angle would make it clear what needs to be fixed and how large of an area would be involved.

I still think that an experienced handyman/woman could do it, but they would have to know enough to make sure the strength of the end product is sufficient to be part of the driveway as you mentioned.

However, just having any experienced concrete/cement contractor look at it will give you an instant answer as to what is need, how much it will cost, etc.

Let us know what you find out.

Good luck.

Reply to
TomR

P.S. Since it is outside, any contractor can just drive by at their convenience and take a look at it and give you a written estimate. You don't even need to be there. Just give them the address and you're all set.

Reply to
TomR

Before concrete is poured in, you need a stabilized base. Looks like mud in there now. That needs to come out, take it down to where the ground is solid, packed gravel or whatever. Then fill it up to the required height with suitable material and compact it down. Then the concrete goes in. If you put concrete on top of mud it will sink later.

It's an easy DIY type of job.

Reply to
trader_4

From the photos so far, I can't really tell exactly what the OP has there.

I see what looks like a small "square" (rectangle) with dirt under it, and another area of just dirt, and some brickwork, and some kind of pipe coming up out of the ground. I have no idea what that pipe is, where it goes, if it is really coming up out of the ground in an area that is actually a part of the driveway, etc.

But, yes, if it is that small area that the OP has in mind filling, and if in fact it is part of the driveway that won't be driven on anyway, I agree that a basic cement patch (not too thick) that can be broken out later if needed would be an okay way to fix this. And, if that is all that is needed, any handyman could easily do this.

Any guesses as to what that pipe is that is coming up out of the hole in the photos?

Reply to
TomR

My guess would be it's just a piece of pipe stuck in the ground, maybe so people will be aware of the hole.

Reply to
trader_4

the pole is just a lamppost, stuck in the ground, as an alert to the hole

marc

Reply to
21blackswan