Cement around swimming pool - Paint?

I recently pulled off the carpet that was glued to the cement around my pool in the back. I'm not sure how long it was there (I just bought the house last summer) but it was disgusting in some spots (looked like black mold) and had moss around some corners.

My gf and I decided that it would be stupid to put carpet down again for several reasons. We've decided instead to paint the cement around with an off white colour. However, some of the glue from the carpet remains in many spots on the cement. Is there any type of "grinder" that can be rented to clean up the cements?

A friend of mine mentioned that it is against the law to finish external cement smoothly, it needs to be rough. Although it doesn't look like a basement floor, the cement is pretty smooth. Is there a tool that will make it a bit rougher during sanding?

Lastly, are there special paints for cement, or will any oil based external paint work?

TIA, MP

Reply to
MP

I'd forget the paint- it will require constant upkeep. Good epoxy paints designed for concrete floors are expen$ive, and hard to apply as a DIY. I'd try a pressure washer and bleach solution to clean the existing concrete, and if that fails, have somebody come in and sandblast it. (Yeah, the pool should be empty or well-covered for that- blasting media would be hell on the plumbing and filters.) Pressure-wash and a sharp scraper should get most of it. Place that rents the pressure washer usually has a good selection of cleaning solutions designed for various problems.

aem sends....

Reply to
ameijers

I agree totally with ameijers about cleaning up the existing concrete. I also agree that no type of paint will provide an adequate solution and will require even more aggressive removal methods.

Contact a pool company or decorative concrete contractor. Discuss "Cool Deck" and/or other 1/4" decorative toppings. Cool Deck is a blend of cement, modifiers, and marble dust applied with a splatter/dash method that leaves a textured top that holds small amounts of water and keeps feet cool.

As a DIY project, there may be some decent information at:

here:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Keep the whole world singing. . . . DanG

around my pool

the house

black mold)

again for

around with an

remains in many

rented to

external

like a

that will make

based external

Reply to
DanG

Thanks for your responses. You are correct, I don't want to be upkeeping the paint on a re gular basis either. Looks like that miracote is close to what I'm looking for.

MP

Reply to
MP